Another Eico HF 81 on ebay

Dave in Nashville

This one only sold for $305. So maybe it's time to get back into the HF81 hunt? Was this one a more realistic price?

So I got the following feedback from someone who is more a radio tube guy than an hifi guy. The Dynaco's seem to be more like $6-800. Would they be better?

"EICO was not exacltly "high end" I'd shoot for a Dynaco or Dynakit, or maybe even a Heathkit "Williamson" amp"

Well guys, I am the (happy?) owner!

As the auction was to end at 4AM my time, I bid USD 400 (my very maximum for this piece at the state of "cleanliness" the photographs showed...), at 11PM and went to bed, quite sure to be outbid in the morning. You can imagine my amazement, when I discovered that I was actually the last bidder at USD 305!

More when I receive the amp...

Aristidis

www.aca.gr/pop_coumpas.htm

Congratulations Aristidis! It will be good to have another set of ears judge this little intriguing beast.

BTW, if you need to make room for it, just send anything you want in my direction. cwm35.gif

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

Well, when one goes from very high resolution SET 2A3, 300B, 45 to the EICO integrated, you must enact the willing suspension of disbelief. It will surely not replace your Hovland - SET combo. On the other hand, it is about the most musical $300 full amp you can find.

Well, that beast is totally bone stock from the looks of it. You will need to extract your trusty Weller sooner or later (hopefully just a bit later although all bets are off after). There are different sounds between units and the skill comes in wrangling the most from your example. I have two, and prefer one over the other.

Unfortunately, you will be dealing with the power conversion and the extra hassle here. Points will be received if you can dazzle your audio-Fiend club compatriots with what you CAN get from an ugly brown $300 box. No, it aint perfection but what fun for the money.

May the massive shipping distance be kind...

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-21-2002 at 10:02 AM

Thanks everybody,

As I am now finishing a dual mono 45-VT52-SV811/3 amp (I will post photos, construction details as well as my impressions soon...), well...the bug wouldn't let me in peace! So - having a variety of EL84's at my disposal - I began gathering material, planning a PSE unit, using these tubes, as my next year's project.

Having read Kelly's and other people's pages on the HF-81, I was of course intrigued by this little beast, although not ready to pay the extravagant prices asked (+ shipping, import duties etc). But at a starting price of USD305 (still unbelievable how this happened, considering the fact that - normally - everybody bids at auction's end...),I think I might have secured myself a nice restoration project for those winter nights to come!

Do I expect it to sound better than SET's? Oh, no! It will sound different and, after all, a good amp is always a good amp! Notwithstanding the fact that this particular one, has already been elevated into a piece of Hi-Fi history...

Cheers,

Aristidis

www.aca.gr/pop_coumpas.htm