Mac Service or Audio Classics

Mighty Favog

Years ago I bought a (used / refurbished) McIntosh MR85 tuner from Audio Classics. A few months ago it has developed a problem with reception in the FM band. I've relocated the unit to a few different places using a different antenna setup each time and the problem follows the unit.

So, I'm almost in a position to send the unit in to be repaired. But my question is, should I send it to Audio Classics or to McIntosh (not the local authorized service center)?? Price? Turnaround?

9 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Years ago I bought a (used / refurbished) McIntosh MR85 tuner from Audio Classics. A few months ago it has developed a problem with reception in the FM band. I've relocated the unit to a few different places using a different antenna setup each time and the problem follows the unit.

So, I'm almost in a position to send the unit in to be repaired. But my question is, should I send it to Audio Classics or to McIntosh (not the local authorized service center)?? Price? Turnaround?

Richard Modafferi
    Inventor and independent consultant to Audio Classics, Rich Modafferi has established himself as one of the world's foremost authorities on tuner and loudspeaker design and development. He holds Masters degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the NJ Institute of Technology. A Senior Engineer at McIntosh Laboratories from 1968-74, he designed the MR77 and MR78 tuners and the famous "Rimo" filter. The MR78 tuner has received world wide acclaim for its State of the Art performance. From 1974 to the present, Richard has been a self employed inventor at Modafferi Acoustical Systems, Inc. He has been granted a United States patent for Phase Shift Bass Loading and for the Infinite Slope Crossover. These patents are currently being licensed to Joseph Audio of White Plains NY for use in their speaker systems. Richard also serves as a writer, reviewer and test lab for Audio, Audio Critic, The Sensible Sound.

ATTENTION MCINTOSH TUNER AND TUNER PREAMP OWNERS (any model, any age) NOW Your McIntosh Tuner or Tuner preamp will perform even better. RICHARD MODAFFERI has agreed to do repairs, modifications and updates for customers of AUDIO CLASSICS. His intimate knowledge of the circuits allow him to improve the units audibly and measurably beyond their original performance limits. Your investment in this service is protected by a limited one year parts and labor guarantee.

25 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Yea, I know about him. I just didn't want to sink an additional  $1,000 into it on top of the repair for all of his modifications.

Given he's at AC though, for him to repair it without the mods.

it's simple just drop a email 

or call . get a quote for the problems

that you are having..and if the mods

that are done by Richard 's upgrades 

incorporate the repairs into the mod..

and you can an informed decision .

21 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Well, I'll probably have it packed up and on it's way to AC by this weekend. For the return trip back to me, I'm gonna ask if it can be left at a UPS store so I can pick it up later in the day. AC has a stiff policy of only sending packages to the billing address on a credit card.

smart move !! about 15 years ago I went down to check out some khorns..all they

had was a couple of cutaways..but the owner steve had a pair in walnut at home..

and I needed to make a a appointmentto audition them... anyway let me know how you made out..