Noise from speakers after plugging in subwoofer?

Wourd

Friend says he plugged in a K-100SW subwoofer into a system of Yamaha receiver circa 2008 and Quintet SL speakers. The speakers became noisy after that but sound fine without the subwoofer.

This is already a replacement subwoofer after Klipsch support said the first one was likely bad. He may try it at a neighbor's house but wondering if anyone came across something similar? Not sure if the sub itself was working, I'm following up.

9 minutes ago, Wourd said:

I've forwarded the questions along.

In the meantime, just curious what your guess would be? I think all the speakers are playing noise. How would your idea change if just one speaker?

I'm no amplifier repairman but figured it could be a bad channel or poor ground in the receiver but first things first.

10 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Are you using the high level (speaker wire) inputs to the sub amp and then running wires from the sub amp to the speakers?

Using an RCA cable from the receiver to the sub.  The sub replaced a Klipsch SUB-10 that worked for a few years before blowing out its fuses.

The Quintet SL's are all plugged into the receiver.

I heard the noise over the phone; it's mostly white noise / static. Back to normal with the sub disconnected.  I told him to take it to a local stereo to try a different receiver.

Also suggested a different RCA cable, thanks.

Edited by Wourd