I Upgraded to Atmos

johnnydrama

Long time no post, and sure enough when I start to get more active the upgrade bug bites again. It started when I wanted to sell my Harman Kardon receiver so I could upgrade to a Marantz. I posted the H/K on Craigslist and a day later a guy wanted to come audition, after the audition he asked what I would want for my entire system so I threw out a number. Lo and behold he bought everything I had (he claimed to have recently won $100k on a scratch off lotto ticket). After he left I stood in my empty basement and tried to comprehend what had just happened, I couldn't so I went to bed. After a few minutes I broke out in a hot sweat and pulled out my laptop and spent the next 5 hours contemplating my next move (Yes I was up until 3am telling myself I needed a replacement system immediately). I ultimately decided not to pull the trigger but I had it narrowed down to an Emotiva AirMotiv, Klipsch Reference Premier, or Definitive Technology, all in some sort of Atmos configuration.

The next night I pulled the trigger on the Definitive Technology setup. I can't really say why other than the fact that Crutchfield was offering some nice Open Box Discounts and a free center channel with purchase of the towers. The buying of the DefTech package was very satisfying, the packaging of the product and the unboxing felt very special. The quality was top notch and made it all that much more exciting on top of trying a new setup. I spent two weeks with the DefTech and as time went on I felt myself becoming more underwhelmed and experiencing buyer's remorse. I knew this would only get worse and it became apparent that this wasn't the system that could replace my beloved Klipsch XF-48 setup from before. Don't get me wrong, I could have lived with the DefTech and been content, and the Atmos addition was nice and noticeable to the surround envelope. Their seamless A90 integration with the towers was really great.

Therefore I decided to return the package to Crutchfield (BTW Crutchfield was great to deal with, I never have before, but hassle free 60-day returns. I wouldn't have purchased the DefTech setup in the first place if this wasn't the case but it made me comfortable enough to at least audition). I was then dead set on buying a Klipsch RP-260F Atmos setup from SoundDistributors. However, I logged onto the Forum and checked the Garage Sale section. Unbelievably space_cowboy was selling an XF-48 setup and it was destiny.

So here I am with essentially the same setup but with a few minor changes. Primarily the integration of Atmos, Marantz Receiver, and Subs. I took the idea of the DefTech setup and mounted my XL-12s on top of the XF-48s. This was easy to do considering the top of the XF-48s are angled to support this. I could have mounted the XL-12s directly on the ceiling above my seating position, however most of the publications that I have read is that if you have less than 14 ft. ceilings that this particular arrangement will work better than a direct mount above your seating. Made sense to me, and it was an easier and simpler installation.

I auditioned a pair of SVS SB-2000s to replace the Dayton Ultimax 12s I had. They are powerful little boogers for sure. But for what I paid for them, DIY subs just can't be beat for the price. So I have a Dayton Ultimax 15 kit on it's way to replace and am returning the SVS SB2000s. I'll start with one Ultimax 15 and determine if 2 are required to satisfy.

I have attached some pictures of this journey that we are all constantly living but mine definitely a whirlwind of decisions over the last several weeks. Hopefully I can settle-in with my new setup soon. Happy as heck to have my XF-48s back.

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pathos said:

Nice, Very clean looking setup.  Do you notice the addition of the Atmos speakers?  

I mean how much Atmos is there with a KC touchdown?  Lots of cheering and noise for sure, but I wonder...

I actually noticed a substantial difference with the addition of Atmos. I honestly love switching between Dolby TrueHD & Dolby Atmos soundtrack on the fly while viewing.

I also noticed a huge difference with Football and College Basketball games. The crowd noise primarily sounds noticeably more enveloping. Definitely having fun with it and worth the upgrade IMO. I'm not often quick to jump on the upgrade bandwagon when something is first released, timing just worked out well on this one.