Do I need a amp

Have you read the Troubleshooting section of the amplifier owner's manual?   Specifically, if sound is distorted, ensure that "ECO mode" is turned off?  Are other devices connected to output jacks?  (Page 165.)

I think that other people could better help you if you explained what troubleshooting steps you have tried.   It seems to me that Step 1 is to try another amp. 

I'm just curious, why did you buy a 9.2 AVR for 2.0 stereo use, vs. a stereo integrated amp?

I'm back to a question that I asked earlier:  how loud is "loud"?  Based on the fact that distortion occurs regardless of input, unless you're wanting to generate sound levels that can cause hearing damage, there is something wrong with your equipment, equipment software configuration, or installation - and the problem is probably the amp. 

Just my 2 cents ...

3 hours ago, Ski Bum said:

If that Yamaha has an impedance selector switch on the back, put it in the "high" or 8 ohm setting.  That will allow the Yamaha to deliver full rated power (although it will run hotter, too).  Some of the Yamaha AVRs have over-eager protections circuitry, too, and given the rapidly dropping output power into increasing number of channels, dollars to donuts you're clipping that sucker.  Seems to be a good case where off-loading the L/C/R to a good three channel, or even just the L and R to a good two channel amp, makes a bit of sense.

Most Yamaha's impedance selector switches are on the front panel display screen.