Surrounds

chasec2021

Ok guys, so as some of you know, around Christmas I upgraded my front to the RC 62 ii and fronts to RB 61 IIs. That means I still have Klipsch Quintet V's for my surrounds and rears. I was just able to get amazon gift cards from my incentive program of 300$. I was thinking about buying two RS 42 iis as they would be in the same reference series as I am building around for the future, and they don't have RS  52/62 iis on amazon. They are currently priced around 180 each, so i would only be paying 60$ out of pocket. 

Anyone have any strong opinions on why these wouldn't be worth my time? I can always move them to my bedroom as rears if I were to upgrade them down the road, but feel that they will be a vast improvement over the Quintets I have is my side/surrounds I am currently sporting. 

Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Just now, Youthman said:

RS42 will be fine with RB61's.  I was running RS52 with RF83 / RC64 and they had no problem keeping up.

Thanks, Youth. I feel like it will be a good decision to take advantage of the situation. I can always move them down the road to another room. I just feel that this will be a big upgrade over what I have, and If I decide to do Atmos-5.2.1. then having these bad boys as my surrounds can make up some of that difference of just having the quintets 

Yes I think they will work well and I'm a big fan of the bipolar surrounds.

On the forum here, in the garage sale, someone does have a nice pair of RS52s along with boxes, willing to ship.

It's not me and I'm not affiliated.  I bring this up because the RS52s (and 62s) are becoming harder to find and are terrific. 

42s, 52s, you'll love either one imo and it will be a big jump up from the quintets

• Like 1

Just now, RoboKlipsch said:

Yes I think they will work well and I'm a big fan of the bipolar surrounds.

On the forum here, in the garage sale, someone does have a nice pair of RS52s along with boxes, willing to ship.

It's not me and I'm not affiliated.  I bring this up because the RS52s (and 62s) are becoming harder to find and are terrific. 

42s, 52s, you'll love either one imo and it will be a big jump up from the quintets

Thanks for the heads up. I would probably go that route if it weren't for the fact that this is money that Isnt really coming out of my pocket, and has to be used on amazon. Plus I was hoping to use the same wall mounts which hold up to 20 LBS each. The 42s weigh 11, and I still feel like that may be too much for the mounts...

I see.  One nice feature of the RS surrounds is they have keyhole mounts.  The little keyhole on the back that can hook onto a nail or the like.

There are many choices, double headed screws, snap toggles, etc. But really they will stay up quite nicely with the keyhole mounts as long as it's onto something stable. 

Just a thought.  

Just now, RoboKlipsch said:

I see.  One nice feature of the RS surrounds is they have keyhole mounts.  The little keyhole on the back that can hook onto a nail or the like.

There are many choices, double headed screws, snap toggles, etc. But really they will stay up quite nicely with the keyhole mounts as long as it's onto something stable. 

Just a thought.  

My room shape is not a candidate for mounting speakers flush I am afraid. I would need them angled the same way I have my Quintets. The only thing I worry about is if the mounts are not bolted into studs, how much weight does that reduce its capacity to hold..

1 minute ago, Youthman said:

I'm using something like this for my RS62ii and it has no problem supporting the speaker

IMG_1991.JPG

What kind of mount are you using. Or are you just using the keyhole?

I think I am using some plastic ones right now. I know I have some in my workshop. I don't think I used them originally, but should not be an issue switching out. Such a simple suggestion.. I don't know how I didn't think about that. Hah. Thanks

2 hours ago, chasec2021 said:

My room shape is not a candidate for mounting speakers flush I am afraid. I would need them angled the same way I have my Quintets. The only thing I worry about is if the mounts are not bolted into studs, how much weight does that reduce its capacity to hold..

As youthman is sharing,  each fastener has a weight load.  If it becomes a concern look up snaptoggles.  I love them they work in drywall and support 200lbs!    Many that work though remount them if its a concern.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

As youthman is sharing,  each fastener has a weight load.  If it becomes a concern look up snaptoggles.  I love them they work in drywall and support 200lbs!    Many that work though remount them if its a concern.  

Ya, I had an installer use some of those on my speakers one time and getting it off of the wall was rough. The screw got messed up in it and wouldnt come out any more, pretty much had to rip it out of the wall. I fixed the hole and all, but you can still tell a patch was used. 

I think with these mounts, https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11410 that I have what I need to have the strength to hold the new surrounds. They say 22 lbs each, and the speaker is less than 12. I just need to go back behind them and make sure I am using good anchors, and if not switch them out. I am really excited about this purchase. 

I can't wait to hear the difference going from quintet satellites to these. I know they are the smallest ones they made in this line, but my den really is not big, so it won't be a problem. I mean the quintets have been fine, so I'm sure these will be even better than fine.