Klipsch black finish on cabinets

dtr20

I bought a pair of chorus II speakers in black, but the cabinets were really rough. I sanded down the cabinets to the bare veneer (looks like an oak veneer). I tried to stain them black, but the veneer really doesn't take the stain. They are pretty much a weird dark brown. Any ideas on how too get them a deep black and still show the wood grain? 

You should investigate dye from Behlin Bro. at the very famous supplier of woodworker supplies.  You'll see there is a black.

http://www.garrettwade.com/behlen-solar-lux-ngr-dye-stain-gp.html

Much of what is called "stain" is actually thinned down paint, which is to say there are particulates / colloids of a color.  This is why you're told to stir up the sludge at the bottom of the can.

The particulates can cause muddiness in the result and obscures the grain.

OTOH, a dye has the color as part of the liquid and generally the grain and depth is preserved.

Yeah, I see it is called stain dye but it is a dye more than particulate.

I haven't used black but I think you'll find it gives you a nice black with the grain preserved pretty much.  As always, test on an obscure spot like the bottom of the boxes or riser first.  Yes, the wood should be lightly sanded to a raw state.

If it is too coal black on application, try a quick additional finish of a wipe on varnish.

I've had very good results with wipe on varnish.  But you must be patient to build up layers. Spend 20 minutes every night for a week rather than four hours on a weekend.

WMcD