How does a change in capacitor value effect the sound

Dflip

I just switched from 2.2 uF max caps to Hovland 2.0's. While the Hovland is more musical, I also notice the sound is brighter, more high end which tends to make the bass receed more into the background. The bass is still very much there when needed.

Does the change in values, .2 make a difference or is the sound change just based on the type/quality of capacitor (both are polyproplene caps)? The leads on the Hovlands are a thicker gauge wire.

Is there a logical reason for this change that I hear? I don't know anything about electrical theory or such, so if somebody could give me the "Capacitors for Dummies" explanation.

Thanks in advance.

You don't give us a lot to go on. What kind of speakers do you have? Where in the circuit are these capacitors?

Doesn't sound to me like quality factor (Q) is an issue here since both brands are polypropylene. Most polypropelene caps have a very high Q. Equivalent series resistance (ESR), which determines Q, of these things is generally very low, on the order of 10 milliohms at the value of your capacitors, including the resistance of the leads. Any difference between brands because of this should not be audible.

You need to know where you're going when start tweaking speakers - otherwise it's a blind shot. For instance, if you think your Cornwalls are a little bright with their stock oil caps, then replacing them with a Hovlands would be a bad idea (IMHO), because the Hovlands would likely make the tweeters brighter.

Andy

The speakers are Cornwall 1's with B networks. The inductors have been replaced with Solen 12 awg solid wire ones, van den hul Cs-122 internal wiring (12.5 awg).

The caps were both polyproplene, the originals, oil filled caps had been replaced 1 1/2 years ago because of a problem at volume and double basses. The cap change solved the problem. So both caps are polyproplene, 2.0 Hovlands with thicker lead wires and the 2.2 Max cap, 250V, 5%, 24K gold plated leads.

I assume it is because of the Hovland quality, but I wondered if the .2uF change in value would have any effect on the sound change. The Max cap was a lot mellower.

Just seeing if there was a logical reason.

Don