For Klipsch RF-7 owners (TheEAR, m00n?)

Kain

Maybe you guys can help me. Earlier I posted one but never got an answer. My RF-3IIs are rated at 150 RMS. Does that mean I can't get an amplifier putting out 200 watts? I ask these dumb questions cause I don't know much about amplifiers. Also my Denon 2802 receiver puts out 90 watts. Basically I was wondering if I get a 150 or 200 watt amp, would I get more bass, or would the extra watts from the amp only help me where the receiver can go, past 90 watts. And then I would have to play it at really loud levels then to get that extra watts right? Ear or Justin???? you guys are smart teach me.cwm34.gif

------------------

27" 3 line digital comb filter JVC TV

Denon AVR-2802 Receiver

Denon CDM-270 CD Player

Aiwa DVD Player (sucks)

Klipsch RF3-II's Fronts

Klipsch RC3-II Center

Infinity HPS-250 Subwoofer

Yamaha ??? surrounds

69"X76" Hand made oak entertainment center.

RMS means "Root Mean Squared" -- honest.

It is the same as "continuous, both channels driven".

So, 250 watts RMS is the same as 250 watts continuous per channel.

Speakers are normally damaged by amps that are low in power. Take the RF7's for example. If you run them with a 100 watt per channel amp, and you push the amp past its rated output (usually about 12:30 o'clock position on a typical volume control) -- you go into "clipping", which is basically distortion, which heats the voice coils in the speaker very quickly -- then "poof/fizzle".

If you were to use a 300 watt power amp, the power is very clean and never distorts. A speaker rated at 250 wpc can take this kind of power for maybe a song or two, and then "poof/fizzle". Pure clipping from a low powered amp can take a driver out in seconds.

Use the ratings as a guide. With an efficient speaker like the RF7, 250 watts would destroy your hearing.

I run mine with 35 tube watts, which is about like 60 solid state watts -- and it gets pretty damn loud.

The best rule is this: Get an amp you like and can afford -- and LISTEN to what the speaker is telling you when you are driving it. If it begins to sound "strained", "pinched", or "etched" -- it is either the speaker, or your ears -- saying ENOUGH!

This message has been edited by deang on 09-26-2002 at 03:43 PM