Damn RF-3's have NO BASS!

Orange Peel

I'm listening to some music right now and without a sub there's nothing. A little tiny boom here or there, but nothing I could live with, I set the speakers to "large" again so I can have anything it can make. I don't know how people can not have a sub in there setups, you're missing EVERYTHING without one.

Oh well, that SVS is REALLY gonna sound good when I get it after listening to this for 2 weeks. Smile.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)c>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

what can you tell me about the RF-3's besides bass problems? that doesn't matter to me since I have an RSW-15

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

Computer uses Promedia 2.1's.

the RF-3's have the most bass(and the tightest) I heard out of a good quality 400/each speaker. more than polk, infinity, boston, etc....Its all relative. If you are used to a sub, then without it the bass will sound like nothing, of course.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

CD Player: Cambridge D500SE

DVD Player: JVC XV-D723 Progressive Scan

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

prodj101 - Besides them have little bass, not a thing is wrong with them. I'm used to having a lot of bass due to a sub. Since you have the RSW-15, then you have nothing to worry about. I'm 110% pleased with them as far as sound and whatnot, but to use without a subwoofer, no way. Maybe a RF-5 or RF-7, MAYBE, but the little 8" woofers in the RF-3's don't make much noise.

I had to turn up the bass control knob on the receiver almost 3/4 max to get some kind of bass out of them when in 2 channel stereo. I usually listen to them in Dolby Pro Logic II music while listening to music, so the bass control knob is useless there.

jwadd21 - Maybe tight bass, but not loud enough, and by no means "movie" quality. If you like the sound of little bass, then it's perfect, but for the people that NEED LARGE amounts of it, they just don't cut it.

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

orange,

It depends on what you are comparing it to! That is like saying a Camaro is slow, only because you are used to a Ferrari. It simply isn't true. They have more bass than all the speakers in it's class, they are far from having "no bass". If you wanted more bass, you would have to pay twice as much. RF-3IIs have excellent bass for the money. I think you might also percieve the bass as being quiet because the treble is slightly louder on klipsch, but this only means the treble is louder, not that there is no bass.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

I have been interested in audio for 6 years. I have only had a sub for <1 year. So, it CAN be done. It sucks, but it is survivable.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

I had RF-3IIs without a sub for a couple months, and the Bass was NEVER a concern. Then i got dual SVS and too much bass was a problem, hehe.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

What size room do you have? If you have a really large room the bass may be harder to come by. Another thing to try is your placement maybe a few more inches to the back may help some. If that doesn't work, try an outboard amp, A nice intergrated or 2channel amp + Pre. Then come back with a response!!!!

In My Set-up (15X15') I get too much Bass. On some of the Big Block Buster Flix I sometimes have to cut off my sub, it's so much bass. That's running Pioneer + Rotel 976 only. I'm thinking about changing my crossovers to 100 or 200, hopefully this will only sent LFE to the sub Only. When I hook-up Rotel+Parasound for 2 channel fogetaboutit!!!! Party Over Here!!!!!cwm32.gif

Jalen

------------------

Pioneer 906s A\V Rec.

Pioneer Cld-d580 Laser Disc Player

Parasound P\Hp - 850 Preamp

Rotel RB 976 Amp 3x150 watts for front 3 speakers.

Cambridge Audio 500SE

Awia XD-DV370 (MP3) dvd

Klipsch RF-3II Fronts

Klipsch RC-3II Center

JBL N-26 Rears

Paradigm Mini's low\lvl jam sessions and bar-BQ's

Jalen - Right now the size of the room is fairly large, not exact on the size though. I will try moving them back a little and see if that helps. I'm sure pumping more power to them will help matters, but it's only temporary, my SVS will ship in a couple weeks, then no more bass issues Smile.gif

It's kinda funny, the speakers seem to have a little better bass sound now, maybe it's because I'm getting used to them, or I'm just imagining things Smile.gif The speakers sound great though, so that's all that matters Wink.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwooferc>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Yeah Orange,

Your Bass Should Be Solved with your new sub in route. I sure wish I had a larger room. I was just recently considering a purchase of a couple pair of Paradigm atoms w\matching center just to hold me over until Our move here in a few months (the speakers are too powerful for my room). But, I had to pull it together. Anymore money spent around here will go to better system I have now (Like new Up to date AV prossesor, better Sub & perhaps matching rears).

How do You like Your Reference Series on the Whole? Do you get that smooth Front to Back panning, for Home Theater?

I may Try and add a pair of rs-3's here soon.

Jalen

------------------

Pioneer 906s A\V Rec.

Cambridge Audio 500SE

Awia XD-DV370 (MP3) dvd

Klipsch RF-3II Fronts

Klipsch RC-3II Center

JBL N-26 Rears

Jaden, yeah that sub will cure all my problems for sure Smile.gif

As for my RF setup, I LOVE IT! It's so clear, precise and loud, I don't know what to say. I get a real smooth pan all around the room, sometimes I can't believe this is a HT not a movie theatre, the sound is incredible. I would like to add a pair of RF-3's for the rear, and then have the RS-3's for sides. But I need an amp to do all that, and it would be nice if some movies were in 7.1 first Smile.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwooferc>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Whoa, You had Me thinking You were ready to sell the RS-3's,(Which I could use) there for a sec .

Off to find me a pair......

Happy Listening,

Jalen

------------------

Pioneer 906s A\V Rec.

Cambridge Audio 500SE

Awia XD-DV370 (MP3) dvd

Klipsch RF-3II Fronts

Klipsch RC-3II Center

JBL N-26 Rears

RF3s are a great speaker especially in that price range. Klipsch horns are very efficient and there basa keeps up very well. I had owned KG4s from 1990 til two months ago and they were awesome. I just ordered 4 RF7s and an RC7 and I can not wait but I will wait to see what sub I will need when I get my system all set up first. Do not second guess yourself on your purchase unless you felt you should hane bought the RF5 but your choice is a great one.

FRONT- RF7

CENTER-RC7

REARS- RF7

RECEIVER-YAMAHA RXZ1

DVD- SONY DVPNS755

To me, it sounds like either a bass management problem in the receiver, or because the RF3's are so bright, you may just not be turning it up loud enough to fully appreciate the RF's full, but very tight bass. The RF's seem to have a "break in period" where the highs are very prominent and almost harsh. This seems to diminish after about 90 hours of use. Some receivers have a selection for LFE bass called Mains+Sub vs Sub only. Although this is intended for home theater, sometimes these settings carry over to music only listening. If this is the case try both positions ( even though you don't have a sub)to see if it makes a difference for music. My solution was to turn down the treble by 3-5db on my system and turn up the volume by 3-5 db. The Mid bass and lower bass on my RF's became much more prominent. Also, when I Bi-wired, the lower bass seemed to increase, but that is probably just in my head.

Main System:

Mitsubish Gold+ 65"(on order)

Denon 3801

Toshiba 3700 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD changer

RF3 fronts

RC3 center

RS3 surrounds

Quintet's for rears ( cheap way out, I know..but it works for now!)

Energy 12" powered sub

MBR System

Hitachi Ultrvision 50FS

Denon 2803

Pioneer DVD

JVC SVHS

Klipsch KG 3.5 mains

?????? Center

Klipsch IW 150 surrounds

Sub=?

This message has been edited by JewishAMerPrince on 09-22-2002 at 05:35 AM