DTV & Hard drive question

Coytee

I'm on Direct TV

I have a 'Black-X' external hard drive unit with a 2-TB drive in it.

Looking like the HD is finally biting the bullet.

I presume I can still find a 2-TB or larger HD but...  what about one of those SD type drives?  (I think it's called SD?  the solid state)

Is there a way I can do the same thing with something like that or should I look for a new traditional HD to replace the dying unit?

(actually, I think it's already dead...it's not worked now in 24 hours, only works with HD disconnected)

i thought their pricing had dropped to the point of them being 'cheap' (inexpensive)

Seems a regular HD is still more cost effective for the DTV box...  I've been looking at best buy's site...

Maybe someone here can suggest a program to recover your present HDD.  

I replaced the HDD in my "go to Starbucks" laptop with a Sandisk SDD.  This required an outboard USB housing for the transfer which was about $15 at MicrCcenter.  The transfer software worked very well.  I was worried that if something went wrong I'd have a ruined HDD and SSD, but no.   The laptop boots much faster and I feel more secure.

Because this went to well I put Samsung SSDs in my office and home laptops.  Again, the transfer software worked well using the little USB housing.

You'll have to shop around for best price.  Microcenter is a bus ride away for me and the tech people seem very competent.  From what I see, size for ;price is pretty much following Moore's law.  But you have to jump on the merry-go-round at some point.

I know there are things to read on the Internet that SSD's are not bullet proof.  But overall they seem to be a real advance and worth the money. 

I see you have an external drive and I don't know the exact process for that.  

WMcD

Seems to me an external SSD will just plug right in.  And, yes, they're cheap enough at this point, but I suppose it's a matter of whether you will benefit from the speed.  If you use it only in an application where speed doesn't improve anything, why spend the extra dough?