What will win: DVD-A or SACD

kenratboy

Let's here it.

I feel one will win (VHS) and one will doe (Beta)

Which one, though?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

If I could trouble tee kind sir for a ye olde hyper-link, I didn't see that thread.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

If I could trouble tee kind sir for a ye olde hyper-link, I didn't see that thread.

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000998.html

that is the one I THINK I am refering to. I just went through my favorites and I think that is the right one Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

• 4 weeks later...

I got into DVD-A with very little investment. I have the Panasonic DVD-CP72, Yamaha RX-V630 receiver and Klipsch speakers (SF-1's, SB-1's, SC-1 and KSW-10) with Monster Cable on everything. As you can see, this is by no means high end. With 6-Channel Input selected on the Yamaha all of the DSP circuitry is bypassed. So the sound is clean and untouched. The DVD-CP72 has a built-in setup mode similar to a home theater setup and with it I was able to adjust the level of the bass and select the size of all of the speakers, so there is a form of bass management built in. The end result is this: I find it hard to listen to normal CD's after listening to DVD-A. In fact, I have rediscovered music as a source of pleasure thanks to DVD-A. I much prefer the 6-channel mixes over the stereo mixes in DVD-A. In fact, the 6-channel mix is the ONLY way to listen to Bjork's Vespertine. The fly in the ointment in the case of DVD-A (as well as SACD) is the lack of titles.

I would like to see SACD become the new hi-rez, multi-channel music standard, but I think that both formats will survive for a number of years before one or the other becomes dominant in the marketplace. Only then will the other finally throw in the towel. Which one? Who knows?

More important, I think, is the need for all concerned parties to get their acts together regarding copyright protection and consumer's fair use rights. And then when all that mess is ironed out (very soon, I hope), put hi-rez, multi-chl. digital outputs on all SACD and DVD-A players, so that they can take advantage of the dsp built into all A/V receivers and processors (bass mgmt., channel bal., delay, etc.). The only components I know of that are truly ready for prime-time today is the top-of-the-line Elite VSX-49TXi A/V receiver, from Pioneer, and their matching universal disc player. Hopefully, those components will set the standard for upcoming offerings from other companies. And at all price points.

I agree with jyroflux. I haven't spent much time listening to my CD's since buying a DVD-Audio player. Even the DTS-DVD's will ruin ya.

Having said that, just earlier tonight I wired up the turntable and listened to a little vinyl. Enjoyed the heck out of a few 70's and 80's albums! I'll see how 7-channel stereo sounds tommorrow! 1.gif

Keith