cornwall vs the new 7's

alex336

Has anyone here listened to the Cornwall 1 and the new Klipsch 7's--and if so, how would you describe the sound differences? Also, does anyone here have any experience with the B & K AVR 305 or 307 A/V Receivers ? Appreciate the information from this great forum!! Johnny

------------------

Johnny

alex, really a matter of taste you'd have to hear, but i lean toward the corns. haven't heard the rf-7 at my own place though. have the rf-3 & have listened a lot to rf-7 at the shop.

the rf-7 are great sounding speaks. the 3-way cornwall have more the sound i prefer. i'm using rf-3 for the stereo room & they also sound great though not as full in the midrange.

i have the b&k ref 30 & 7270 amp. from what i've heard the 307 really has the same pre/pro section as the ref 30. just a smaller torrid transformer for ampage, though still quite adequate for klipsch.

recommend giving the b&k a demo w/ klipsch. to my ears, the b&k & klipsch go together best within that price category & even compared to much higher priced components imho.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

quote:

Originally posted by alex336:

Has anyone here listened to the Cornwall 1 and the new Klipsch 7's--and if so, how would you describe the sound differences? Also, does anyone here have any experience with the B & K AVR 305 or 307 A/V Receivers ? Appreciate the information from this great forum!! Johnny

I just bought a pair of corwall 1s two weeks ago (for under $800). After listening to the new RF-7s at a local dealer, I do not think there is any comparison...the Cornwalls are far superior. I bought a Yamaha RX-V1 to drive the system. You can see my system in odds and mods. The Cornwalls are awesome!!!

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall - 1981

Klipsch Heresy II

Yamaha RX-V1

Mitsubishi 65" HDTV (WS65869)

Robforst1,

1981 Cornwalls, huh? Wonder if I built them? Look on the rear of the speaker cabinets...on the rear edge of the side panels, up near the top left (or bottom right...) of the rear side edge...about an inch or so from the miter joint(or butt joint if they are birch models)...if you see an "A" or a two-letter combination with an "A" in it...then I built them. It will be stamped in, but may be very shallow, and hard to detect.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

for what it's worth my RF-7 in store comparison with my Corns ('77) at home comparison was highly in favor of the Cornwalls. I must admit that I was surprised at how bright, thin and annoying the RF-7s sounded.... BUT...the amplification source and crappy internal shop wiring must be considered. The shop was using a Denon something or another AV amp ($800-900 amp) and at home I've got a NAD preamp and B&K power amp. All in all, I like Cornwalls.

In fact, to be fair, I remember listening to RF-5 and RF-3's at a different store and the sound of the 5's and 3's was far superior to the RF-7's. So, I must conclude the set-up was sorely lacking when I listened to the 7's. So... this post is pretty much meaningless. I do prefer the Corns over the 5's and 3's, though. And over the KLF series.

Mace

Thanks for the opinions. I love my Cornwall 1's--have never heard the 7's--or anything from B & K. My old Tandberg separates are sending LOUD signal noises thru my Cornwalls--don't want to harm them so its time to get an A/V receiver or something else. Again thanks for the info and suggestions!!