Question for HDBR

Marty65

HDBR , When Klipsch sprays the back and front boards of the Heresy and Cornwalls black, did they actually have to mask off the wood veneer sides. Was just wondering how this was done. Seems like that would be a lot of labor time to mask off every box for painting. Also were all the boards for the speakers pre-cut before arriving at the factory?

Thanks, Dan

Fronts were already painted black when installed in the speakers...no masking required...and for the inside edges of the top/bottom/sides panels, they were shot at an angle that kept overspray from getting on anything else...just the veneer strip on the front edge was masked....rear edges shot at angle with spray gun in center of rear opening...no masking needed there...yes, we did all the sawing and mitering of the wood at the plant when I worked there. The routing of the openings, too!! I must have personally routed a billion or more holes in the 7 years I worked there!!! The product came in as wood sheets and left plant as completed speakers. The fine veneer panels were sent to us in custom sizes with the edge veneer tape already installed, though...but those panels still had to be ripped, cross-cut, and mitered by us. We also ripped up waste for our glue blocks, and used birch plywood scrap for the network boards. The fine veneer panels came already matched up for Heresys and Cornwalls, with the outer long side edges already veneered...they had to be ripped to width, then turned around and re-ripped, leaving just a thin piece of scrap, then cross-cut to separate the top/bottom panel from the side panel...then they were mitered. K-horn fronts came in ready to use(except for the birch ones)...but the other finely veneered panels for the K-horn had to have the corners cut off at the angles and such...the corners were then sawn up in the risers and upper housing side panels. About the largest volume of waste we had was the cut-outs from routing the woofer openings in Heresy and Cornwall fronts, but these were stacked on pallets and sold to a "mom and pop" operation that used them for bottoms in round wooden products they made...like decorator trashcans and decorator buckets and such.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 09-24-2002 at 09:02 PM