Linux help, anyone?

-js-

so, I'm at work, working, a bunch of late, but anyway.  for a user of course, I'm trying to use Linux live recovery tools to recover data from a SSD that failed.  I'm not much of a Linux user, that's why I ask for help.

I'm using a System Rescue live from a USB drive & it looks like photorec is doing a full, raw copy of the entire disk over to the target folder.  battery died on the workhorse laptop - yes, I thought I had it plugged in but no.  so when the battery died & the process stopped, I moved my target over to my Windows box to check what I had so far.  photorec had created some 400-odd recup_dir folders.

can anyone recommend a recovery tool that might copy the existing folder structure in a manner that makes sense?

I will have to return the source SSD because it was replaced under warranty & they want their 'core' back.  so, if this is the best I can do, I'm also going to try to create an image of that drive to try to play with down the road - restore to a spare drive & see if I can recover anything later.  or try to repair the boot partition to see if I can get a bootable Windows partition to copy folder structure from...

any other ideas?  thanks.

Is the ssd a linux drive? We only had one die on us, and due to the way we set them up, all info goes to mounted shares in fstab, i.e., other than having to set it up with a new drive, nothing was lost. Boss had bought some generic ss drives. We messed with it some but it wasn't even recognized by any system.

I would love to know what you have used.

Bruce

hi Bruce.  the SSD is an Intel drive that was running Win 10.  at one point yesterday, using one of the Linux rescue tools, I was able to browse the Intel drive.  I didn't drill far but did go far enough to see the user profiles folder.

thanks @Marvel for your reply, and for anything you or anyone else can offer