Mitsubishi WS-65869, WOW!!!

Orange Peel

I picked it up tonight, set it up, etc, and I haven't even calibrated it yet, and my lord, what a KILLER, AMAZING, OUSTANDING, BRILLIANT picture it has, 110% better than the RPTV I had before. I changed the Denon to Progressive, and I can totally see the chroma bug, and plus it sometimes makes this wave appear in the top part of the movie, so that thing is going back for sure. Not sure what I will get, the Denon 1600 looks nice, but no Coax output, just optical, totall bummer Frown.gif Anyways back to the TV. The on screen display is so cool, it has pictures of the devices you have or want to switch to, like a DVD player for the DVD input, VCR's for a VCR plugged in, etc, totally cool!

Of course none of my equipment is Net Command capable with it, so that function goes down the pooper. But no biggy, I don't mind Smile.gif The image is so clear, man I can't get over it. The screen is HUGE, much larger in this mode than the 60" 4:3 TV was. It's internally integrated as well, and fully upgradable, which is a double bonus.

What else can I say, it's an amazing TV, now I get to watch all my movies over again! Smile.gif Darn! Now I just need my SVS and my system will be done, for now! Smile.gifSmile.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)c>

SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwooferc>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Mitsubishi WS-65869 Widescreen TVc>

Denon DVD 2800c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

This message has been edited by Orange Peel on 09-25-2002 at 11:03 PM

Orange Peelc>

Ya, we have a Mitsubishi TV also, it's a 27". But ya, it to has a very nice picture, very nice. Every one always comments on how nice it is.

------------------

Klipsch Gear (Proud to be 100% Klipsch)s>c>

* FRONTS: RF-7* CENTER: RC-7* SURROUNDS: RS-7* REAR: RC-7* SUB: RSW-12 / RSW-15 (feel the sonic waves)c>s>

Harman Kardon Gears>c>

* RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520* AMPLIFIER: Harman kardon PA4000* DVD: Harman Kardon DVD-50(DD, DTS)s>c>

Video Gears>c>

* InFocus ScreenPlay 110 DLP Projectors>c>

Computer and Game Gears>c>

* PC Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 4.1* Microsoft XBOX with Monster cable for that 5.1 Dolby Digitial surroundc>

s>f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 09-26-2002 at 10:15 AM

Yeah it seems Mits is one of the best TV companies, next to Pioneer Elite's stuff Smile.gif I'll get some pics up real soon so you can see how HUGE this thing is compared to the 60" I had.

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Denon DVD 2800c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Congrats on the purchase of your HDTV. I think you are going to like it a lot. I'm a big supporter of the Mits because they are so tweakable. However, before you do anything else it is STRONGLY recommended that you reduce contrast to somewhere between 25-40%. Many manufacturers jack up the contrast to 100% (torch mode). That ain't good. It promotes screen burn-in. Also recommend that you get either Avia or Video Essentials calibration disk. Short of a professional ISF calibrationist, these DVD disks do an excellent job of adjusting your set.

If you're a tweaker like me then be prepared for many many hours of adjustments and tweaks. The cool thing is; within a few months (once the set has broken in) your set will blow away ALL sets on the showroom floor. REALLY!

If you're interested I can give you a link to these tweaks and improvements.

As far as the DVD 1600 not having coax, only TOSLINK, IMO there is no discernable sound difference between the two. There are many that will go to their grave thinking differently, but personaly I think it is mental perception not factual. For the money, it really is a good player (w/ no chroma bug).

Have fun.

------------------

Ranger

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Mitsubishi WS65819

Denon AVR 4802

Denon DVD-1600

Denon DCM-370

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Klipsch RF3II (Mains)

Klipsch RC3II (Center)

Klipsch RS3II (Surround)

SVS 20-39 PCi (Sub)

ProntoPro TSU6000

Ranger - Thanks, yeah I've always like Mitsubishi for their TV's. Funny you say this about the contrast, I was playing with the settings and when it came to the contrast, bingo, 100% maxed out. I lowered it to around 60-70%, maybe I will go lower, I don't want burn marks in this TV. I will check out one of those disks, apparently they are a good source of music and video calibration Smile.gif Please post the link to the tweaker site, I would love to know more about how to make it perfect.

I'm sure there's not a huge difference in the Coax vs Toslink, but I just don't want to spend more money on having to buy a optical cable when I already have a nice coax cable, know what I mean? I will weigh it all out real soon, this weekend I'm going to try something new as far as the DVD player.

Doug - hehe, pretty funny about the projector. Actually I would really love a projector, but as I read about them, you have to replace bulbs every so many hours of usage, and those can run about $300 a bulb. Right now as much as I watch movies I would be buying new bulbs all the time Smile.gif Someday, well the next purchase as far as TV goes, will be a projector with a monster screen! Do you have a calibration disk, like Avia I could use?

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Denon DVD 2800c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

I have the 55859 in my bedroom and have to say I'm in love with the thing. One thing you didn't mention was the huge amount of connect ports on the back of the thing and that the firmware is upgradable, which I've already done on one occasion. I'd get a callibration disc asap as I still feel you have the contrast way too high. I have mine at about 25% and it's fine, but the bedroom I have it in is relatively dark. By the way, I think deepdiscountdvd.com sells the Avia for like $34 with free shipping. The disc can do wonders for both video and audio.

Yes Rob,danbry is correct.The 2 calibration discs most people use is AVIA and Video essentials.They can be found on the net for around 35 to 40 dollars.If you do not want to wait I walked into a best buy and purchased an AVIA disc they had listed for 49.99. The Video Essentials disc can be a bit more difficult to find in store but both of them are available at the Borders stores and on the net at Amazon . AVIA seems to be the more popular of the 2 and people compare their calibration techniques when talking AVIA test patterns but my set has been calibrated one way or the other using both. I have a Mits also .The audio calibrations they use are a little different from each other but that is another story. Good Luck.

I really like my 65909. I have a question for anyone on this thread. Has anyone with a Mits purchased a service contract for annual calibration and cleaning?

Also, I purchased mine from Tweeter and had them do an initial calibration and it was definitely better after they were through. I had done it myself just after deliverly and I thought I had it looking good.

I really like my 65909. I have a question for anyone on this thread. Has anyone with a Mits purchased a service contract for annual calibration and cleaning?

Also, I purchased mine from Tweeter and had them do an initial calibration and it was definitely better after they were through. I had done it myself just after deliverly and I thought I had it looking good.