Set of Klipsch Cabinart Rebel speakers need help ID

Mrbarclay7

I recently acquired a set of Caninart Rebels from an older couple for some help and before I go tearing into them the wrong way I was hoping to get some insight as to what they are and tips to getting the most out of them.      

Im 24, can't say i knew anything of Klipsch prior to acquiring these last week other then my dad owning a set years and years ago when we were stationed overseas.  That being said, I'm an avid guitar player with an obsession for vintage gear, the old legends like bb king and Buddy Guy , cream, Hendrix.   I've been researching Klipsch like crazy actually was hoping to magyver my own sound using my fender champ tube 25 se amp into these rather then the one 12" in it. They both work when tested one at a time, incredible sound , running a Gibson les Paul into a cheap Roland cube 15 watt with speaker wire. 

Guess I can only upload one pic at a time or will have to upload to another site more pics coming. Any info on the speakers or tips on if running these with my guitar setup would be ideal would be appreciated, thanks. 

image.jpg

That appears to be a knob from an Electro-Voice crossover.  I don't see the outline of a treble horn cut-out.  Therefore I'll guess there is some sort of co-axial EV driver in there; i.e. there is tweeter centered on the face of an EV woofer.

I would think that such a driver is rare.  My thought is that if you're going to use the box with a bass guitar or any guitar, you should replace the driver(s) with a unit designed for that, or an economical generic bass driver designed to take a lot of power.  If you ever sell the units they will be much more valuable with the original drivers and crossover in good condition. 

WMcD

I agree with W.  A guitar amp can be driven hard into clipping and power compression.  Hi-Fi woofers are unlikely to take that punishment for long.  I'd replace the woofers and tweeter with a Celestion or Eminence guitar driver, or use as is to play tunes to practice with. 

• 2 weeks later...