The Klipsch Audio Community

Ask the Historian

Got a Klipsch history question for historian Jim Hunter? Ask here! 

307 topics in this forum

1. Welcome!

• 17 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 3 replies
    • 20 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 21 replies
  2. KP-250 1 2

• 21 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 30 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 11 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 22 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 9 replies
  • Recent Posts

• https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/treated-with-nepotism-gloves-attention-shifts-to-jared-kushner-as-nypd-cop-is-charged-for-falsehoods-on-sf-86-form/ar-BB19h6wo?ocid=msedgdhp  
    • After a 12-year hiatus, I am thinking of getting back into vinyl.  I’ve done some research and here’s my conclusion; note I am a value investor aka, broke but want the champagne life; Vintage TT – wow. It seems every vintage TT is the best sounding TT ever made and absolutely beautiful.  Until, the full reveal and there’s a chunk missing or no hinges on the dust cover, if there is one, and most definitely no tone arm, cartridge and/or stylus.  But they sound wonderful! How could I possibly verify this if there’s no way to get the sound from the groove to my ear?  Why would I pay $600, pick your currency, for a vintage table that is just back from the best tech in – insert your town, for minor updates to well most everything. Example – a Yamaha YP-511 direct drive recently given a grade A refurb by the best tech in Calgary and sounds fantastic, looks amazing.  Massive chunk missing from dust cover “can be repaired easily”.  Asking $600.  Really? New TT – double wow.  Ok, so now I don’t need a preamp, amp or wires.  Cool.  I can Bluetooth this puppy to my music server and serve the groovy music all over my house to my powered speakers of which I have none.  This seems both oh so wrong and yet oh so right.  The vinyl experience was intimate, wholesome, calming well depending on the tunes.  Now, I can digitize that puppy and send it to my Bose Bluetooth speaker while I’m in the shower. As with the vintage TT, new TT may or may not come with what you need to even spin a record.  Certainly, don’t expect a cartridge for anything worth talking about as an “audiophile deck”.  OMG, I just want the dang music to come off that spinning disc that’s too big to go into my CD player. Example – Elipson Omega Black Carbon, carbon fiber tone arm and plinth “top” layer, with an Ortofon cartridge, Bluetooth, USB, preamp and line out.  Sales guy tells me it’s a pretty simple TT and can be returned to him for any warranty work.  Asking $525.  Hmm? Upshot – decision.  Well, I’m not happy with the vintage sellers.  They don’t seem to know really what they have, how many hours are on that stylus, when was the last maintenance and what was included etc.  And full disclosure seems to be reluctantly offered.  But equally the new deck sales guys really make me mad by insinuating that I’m a cheapskate for only wanting to fork over $525 bucks for a “simple” TT and to have the audacity to ask about warranty.   My decision is to buy new, but wait until something worthwhile is on DEEP discount. I might use the Bluetooth approach just to freak myself out when there’s no cord attached to the back of the deck, other than the super expensive, uni-directional, ultra-pure super frozen rhodium/gold/silver power cable from Mars. Your thoughts and experience with vinyl re-entry welcome.
    • some more sold today and going out the door tomorrow.  Thanks everyone so far! 
    • I have a Jamboree set that is a little work in progress. I have been holding onto 2 JBL 2402's that were modded to be 2405's for use in the horn section to be mated to the jamborees. Am I on the right track ? Is the 2405 a good one to made to a 402 or similar horn and mate it to the jamboree.
    • On USaudiomart a First Watt F3 - $1275 shipped. If you’re on the fence for FW model jump off it. This is a reasonable price for a superb sounding amp. I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed. No affiliation, not mine - already have one. 
    • PM sent - I'm just in Kalamazoo.
    • I seem to recall from my understanding of stereo playback of the vinyl medium that it is labelled incorrectly.  My understanding is that one side of the groove is based on the addition of the left + right channel (L+R) and the other side is based on the subtraction of the right channel from the left (L-R).  
    • Hello everyone, I recently was able to get a pair of k-horns, so it's time for these to find a new home. I bought them just over a year ago from the original owner. They are in good shape, and include the grills (not pictured). They are also sequential serial numbers (If that's your thing). I'd be happy to pass them along to another forum member for the same price I paid, $850. Not looking to ship, so pickup only. I am located on the south side of Grand Rapids, MI. Let me know if you have any questions!
    • Manufacturer Tekton speakers use this same multiple speaker array. They are generally highly reviewed and for the audio world reasonably priced.