PWK's little blue book or am I losing my mind??? :)

Dave1291

Jim,

You're probably the only person that could answer this question I've had for the past year or two.  I've always loved the LS since I was a kid.  I've got my LS now and am totally amazed at what's sitting here today.  I've lugged them in the past and heard them just could never afford them.  We all know you get what you pay for though.  :)

Here ya go.  WHY, as a kid, did I know I wanted Klipsch before I ever heard them?  People from Ohio back in the early 60's NEVER heard of them yet I wanted a pair since they were SOMEhow my "dream" speaker.  So I started thinking about the WHY did I gravitate to Klipsch at such an early age?  HOW did the seed get planted?

The only thing I remembered, or "thought" I remembered, was a book report I had to write about 1964-5.  I loved music then so I hit the school library looking for a skinny little book to write a report on.  The smaller the better so I thought speakers would work.  I started looking and found this little, I think it was blue, book written by PWK.  It wasn't a bound book more like most just something stapled together w/his beliefs supported by facts on paper MAYBE 20-30 pages long. Sure I looked at a couple others but this one made sense to me.  Logic supported by fact with his drawings and that has PWK all over it imo.

You ever see or know anything about something PWK might have put together and sent to high school libraries or am I totally losing my mind and over-thinking this whole thing?

Thanks,

Dave

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

Was it one of the Dope From Hope volumes?

No, at least I don't think it was.  It's possible but there was only one copy and it was the only copy as I remember.  It wasn't large maybe 6-8 and like every other kid doing a book report ya looked for the least amount of pages and plagiarized it all.  Then ya prayed.  😂 😂

I actually think it might have been a breakdown of the K-horns.  It made sense because he showed how the sound reflected off the cab.  This hertz and that hertz made no sense to me at all BUT it seemed normal.  Other speakers were weird and way too detailed so I took the shortest way out and it stuck!

Here's the reason I'm asking.  This ALL started with the announcement of the Klipsch Series.  I KNEW darn well the first edition of the series would lead to more than one Volume or thought so anyway.  I bought two copies.  One regular and prayed to get a signed copy, which I did.  My signed copy is put away and I'm not telling ya what # it is.  Take that!  The unsigned copy is on my coffee table and I was surprised at how many friends have actually looked at it.  Yes, I have one or two friends on a good day @babadono

I'm actually going to purchase two volumes of each copy as they come out and donate one complete series to my old high school library.  Why?  Why not tell the complete story so some kid like me that eyeballed a lil book 50 years ago can learn more than I did.  I was "fortunate" enough to lug a few around when I was older and I've never forgotten PWK's sound.

That's why I asked the question to Jim.  The more I thought about it that surfaced.  Maybe it was just a "flashback" and maybe it wasn't but that's my battle plan for the series.  Hence the question.   :)

1 minute ago, babadono said:

I couldn't hep it, I'm a wino man.

Skimmed that when it popped up and thought it said "wing man."   😂  Top Gun - Maverick on the 27th?  I'll be there cause it looks like it's gonna be a great movie.   :)

Yup, my mind could be going!  Gonna find out though!  😂

You're definitely losing your mind😆. I'm a student now, and I'm also losing my mind because of the amount of homework they give me at home, but I found this service not long ago https://edubirdie.com/dissertation-writing-services that helps you with dissertation writing. Already several times, I have turned to them to do my homework, and every time I was happy. Edubirdie is the best project I have ever tried.

Edited by Danellehill
  • Haha 1

I think I know the genesis of this idea. In the Rolling Stone interview, ("I have Been to the City Of Hope and My Ears Are Wide Open" )  PWK is mentioned as having a notebook that he wrote in code. One other person (Woody? I think this was pre-Jim Hunter) said he could read the code. I don't have the article right now, but I seem to recall it was also a record of PWK's exercise routine, as well as his notes on speakers.

Now, what happened to that notebook? I don't recall any mention of it being published.

• Like 1

Finally joining the conversation!  My first guess would have been the Dope From Hope collection.  However, the "size recollection" sure fits his pocket notebooks, of which there were many.  The code mentioned above would have at least covered his bowel movements!  Unfortunately the Museum did not end up with these.

I am not aware of anything else that would fit the bill, but it never ceases to amaze me what surfaces in our largely unexplored archives.  Hoping to get them accessible this summer, so I can resume exploration!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim, after seeing that I'm going to go do some leg work.  Going to check in at the High School library, which is fairly new and then the OLD high school library, which is now the Middle school.  It's possible it could have been trashed when the library was moved into the hew high school.  Can't honestly remember if it was a copy of the "Dope from Hope."  Quite possible the "Dope from Hope" title grabbed my attention.  😂

Ninth grade would have been 1964 for me so if they were printed up around then maybe one went to the library.  It explained PWK's theories and supported everything by his facts and drawings, which was the only thing I saw that made sense.  Other books didn't go into the detail that PWK's did.  It just seemed amazing to me so that's the one I snagged.

Ok, I'm on a mission and will see what I can find out.  I know the old librarian has passed so gonna have to check the new one out.  Could be a lil hottie!  IF they do have the series I'll see if I can get them all for the museum.  The bait?  My nice new coffee table book and the first of a series the school will receive!  Kids are ALWAYS looking in Best Buy, etc @ Klipsch so I'm sure it would be well received.

Purpose GIF - Purpose GIFs

Ill Be Back Sunglasses GIF - Ill Be Back Sunglasses Terminator GIFs

• 3 months later...

Welcome to the Forum @Felix Butler  They treat me like the red-headed step-child around here. 😂  Great place to lean, make a few friends and hang in your spare time though.  Yea, that's a true story and for all of you nosey books in here school has started!  Gonna give the high school librarian a call in a couple weeks.  Give her some time to settle in before I hit her with it.  

• 4 months later...

Hey folks! Jumping in here with an update regarding the first-ever Dope From Hope book, available exclusively via Kickstarter starting January 31st for 30 days. During the campaign, you'll be able to preorder a copy of the book. This project is being run independently but with the full collaboration of the Klipsch Museum of Audio History ❤️ Check it out here:  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/17/2022 at 7:22 PM, Dave1291 said:

Jim,

You're probably the only person that could answer this question I've had for the past year or two.  I've always loved the LS since I was a kid.  I've got my LS now and am totally amazed at what's sitting here today.  I've lugged them in the past and heard them just could never afford them.  We all know you get what you pay for though.  :)

Here ya go.  WHY, as a kid, did I know I wanted Klipsch before I ever heard them?  People from Ohio back in the early 60's NEVER heard of them yet I wanted a pair since they were SOMEhow my "dream" speaker.  So I started thinking about the WHY did I gravitate to Klipsch at such an early age?  HOW did the seed get planted?

The only thing I remembered, or "thought" I remembered, was a book report I had to write about 1964-5.  I loved music then so I hit the school library looking for a skinny little book to write a report on.  The smaller the better so I thought speakers would work.  I started looking and found this little, I think it was blue, book written by PWK.  It wasn't a bound book more like most just something stapled together w/his beliefs supported by facts on paper MAYBE 20-30 pages long. Sure I looked at a couple others but this one made sense to me.  Logic supported by fact with his drawings and that has PWK all over it imo.

You ever see or know anything about something PWK might have put together and sent to high school libraries or am I totally losing my mind and over-thinking this whole thing?

Perhaps your encounter with PWK as a child played a significant role in shaping your interest in Klipsch and their products. Reading this book could cause you admiration and fascination, as it presented logical arguments and facts confirming the importance of quality sound. As a result, thinking and getting involved in a certain topic from an early age is unusual, but quite natural. My parents read a rose for emily to me as a child, now I found papersowl.com/examples/a-rose-for-emily/ to study it. I mean that all habits are instilled in us. Perhaps it was an innate interest, the influence of the environment, or just a coincidence of circumstances. It is important to value your interests and follow them, especially if they bring you joy and satisfaction. Feel free to explore and deepen your knowledge of Klipsch and their heritage. Maybe you will find even more interesting facts and stories related to PWK and their contribution to the field of acoustics.

Thanks,

Dave

I think you have a special interest in Klipsch and their products, especially after you found a book written by PWK in your school library. Perhaps you want to understand how and why you felt attached to Klipsch from such an early age and how your perception is justified. Regarding your question about the PWK book sent to school libraries, I am not aware of specific details or information about such books, if they existed. However, many authors and professionals sometimes donate their work to schools and libraries to spread knowledge and inspire young people. Perhaps PWK decided to share his knowledge and passion for acoustics and sound with others, including schoolchildren.

Edited by stevenaughtonnsx11
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, stevenaughtonnsx11 said:

Perhaps PWK decided to share his knowledge and passion for acoustics and sound with others, including schoolchildren.

Welllllll, I know what I had in my hands because of the LS & KHorn drawings.  I was a young rocker back in the day and just asked the librarian.  She said they had some over there on a shelf and I went and picked up the lil book.  I didn't get the network thing but the design looked practical and doable if the facts were right.  That came from the choir director who I talked with cause I was lost.  A pair of LS back in 1964 were about 3k, which I thought was crazy so they had to be something good.  Simple.  I've run the gammit and decided my last system would be a pair of LS so found a pair.  Wish my first system would have been a Klipsch.  Nothing on the planet sounds as good to me as PWK's speakers.  All I can say.  What better place to send lil books to than a high school library?   SOMEONE writing a book report might want something short and sweet to use but I sure didn't understand how he did it.

The size (6X8) does not jive with anything in the Archives so far discovered.  PWK was a huge fan of education in general, so it is conceivable that he gave a one-off copy to a school library.  Am most anxious to see any evidence on this. 

Pricelist660201-3.thumb.jpg.ed08de6b43343c13068f9a978130b9b8.jpgBTW, the earliest price sheet in our collection with a LaScala listed is 1966.  The price at that time was $470 each.  

• Like 2