Ask the Historian

Got a Klipsch history question for historian Jim Hunter? Ask here! 

528 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
    • 39 replies
    • 2.4k views
    • 10 replies
  1. Belle info

• 19 replies
    • 3 replies
  2. Buying used

• 1 reply
  3. Klipsch hbr

• 2 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 21 replies
    • 4k views
  4. 1959 Klipsch Model H

• 9 replies
    • 3.5k views
    • 3 replies
  5. Early Klipsch Shorthorn 1 2

• 24 replies
    • 5.5k views
    • 7 replies
  6. 1980 Heresy 1 2 3

• 40 replies
    • 87.6k views
  7. DATA SHEETS

• 3 replies
    • 17 replies
  8. Klipsch Licensed Enclosures 1 2

• 23 replies
    • 182.7k views
    • 5 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 16 replies
  9. Turntable

• 4 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 1k views
    • 5 replies
  • Recent Posts

• @oldtimer Know you've got skills man! DuckDuck it,  it was early 2017
    • That's one cool machine!   What a morning!    
    • my ambient noise at the moment is 36dB, but when I want to measure my speakers in the late morning & afternoon, it can get up to 45dB; such is life in the inner city.  
    • Thanks again, Wuzzzer, for taking the trouble to google check. Those sites do not have the RP models I want. They are mainly wireless products. 
    • @Marvel, a blacksmith friend of mine recently shared some pictures of his old automatic hacksaw that is used daily to cut lengths of American made 5160 steel.  
    • This thread got spawned from another thread in which others were reporting there is no hiss from their system/speakers. Got me thinking how quiet is quiet? I tried to use a borrowed Rat Shack SPL meter. It bottomed out at 50 in my room and flashed 50, LO,50,LO. I set up REW with my UMIK and got a reading of 35 with A or C weighting. It jumped up to 39 IIRC with Z weighting. I question the calibration of either method.  
    • Picked up a pair of Heresy IIs a couple months ago and fell in love right away.  I decided to give them the full mod/restoration.  Dynamat on the horns, new titanium tweeters from crites, recap the crossovers with sonicaps, little bit of polyfil and refinished the cabinets.  They look fantastic but unfortunately they sound like crap.  I did something wrong with the crossovers and I’m too inexperienced to figure out what.     These are the early Heresy IIs which have the rats nest mess of crossovers.  I almost sent them in for the recap, but I decided I could handle it.  Apparently I couldn’t.  I did them one at a time using the other as a guide and was very careful to make sure everything was exactly where it should be.  When I put the speakers back together they sound like there’s a blanket laid over them.  Everything sounds muffled and distant.  Each speaker sounds the same so whatever I screwed up, I did it to both.  Anyone wanna weigh in and tell me what they think might have went wrong?  I realize it’s not the easiest thing to diagnose via a forum post but a shot in the dark would be appreciated and might save me from having to cave in and buy all new crossovers or send them in to have them fix whatever stupid thing I did.  
    • Another happy camper.... My ProMedia 2.1 (non-BT) speakers stopped working some time ago. I was about to look for replacements then thought that I should check for a solution online. (I despise throwing out electronics) After coming across this thread yesterday, I ordered some 50V 22uF capacitors from Amazon. They arrived late this afternoon so I pulled the circuit board and tried out my soldering skills, hoping that I wasn't doing more harm than good. It worked as prescribed. Now I've got the sub on a power bar with a switch so I can turn the set off while not in use. Hopefully I'll get a few more years out of the "system". Thanks JeffC!  YOU ROCK!!!
    • I normally use my Quest 2200 when checking my speakers. Its range is 30dB to 140dB and apparently my listening room is too quiet, so I had to drop a feather to trigger the meter display.