La Scala user replaceable

15 hours ago, Robbie CW said:

I read that there was a certain series of LA Scalas that you could not get into to replace the woofers or drivers, if so, which series would it be ? Thanks for any info.

It is a false rumor, started by someone who never thought to look at the bottom of the somewhat heavy cabinet, where the access panel is located.

It is also possible that someone may have at one time glued the access cover closed on some speakers, causing grief for the next person that wanted to get in.

16 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

It is also possible that someone may have at one time glued the access cover closed on some speakers, causing grief for the next person that wanted to get in.

I had to make new ones after I destroyed the original panels because they had been glued.

The guy that did it was a wood worker/finisher and obviously not a speaker guy. 

He put the 17? screws back in and fortunately only used a little glue near the edges so I was able to get it off without damaging the wood inside. 

FYI , the 1st series of the 1 piece Lascala cabinets from the 60's through the early 70's were built with the woofer access door panel relegated at the top of the cabinet rather than at the bottom of the cabinet  

-The top panel of the  1st series LS Cabinet was held down with screws ,  thus in order to have access to the woofer  ,one had to unscrew the top panel off followed by removing the tweeter + the mids drivers , the woofer access panel   was also held down with screws 

- the 2nd series of the Lascala cabinet simplified the procedure , the woofer access panel / woofer door was moved to the bottom of the cabinet .