Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
dpunk

Elliptrac + Community M200?

Recommended Posts

Has anybody tried the Community M200 driver on the Elliptrac horn?  Forum member DJK has spoken very highly of the M200, and based on his comments this combination would seem to be an excellent choice in a 3-way setup.

Edited by dpunk
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you talking about Dave's Elliptrac 400?  If so, I can tell you that, that horn with a B&C DE750 sounds good.  I don't want to say it sounds better than the EV HP640 yet, but I am liking it quit a bit. I will be trying it with a EV DH1A next.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Dude said:

Are you talking about Dave's Elliptrac 400?  If so, I can tell you that, that horn with a B&C DE750 sounds good.  I don't want to say it sounds better than the EV HP640 yet, but I am liking it quit a bit. I will be trying it with a EV DH1A next.  

Yes, the Elliptrac 400.  The M200 has a very low compression ratio, which supposedly gives it a more "relaxed" sound than other compression drivers.  (It's basically a 2 inch diaphragm feeding a 2 inch exit, without a phase plug.)  It would seem like a natural choice for the Elliptrac, but it has an upper limit of 4 KHz and therefore needs a tweeter.

 

If I understood your post correctly, you have the Elliptrac and the HP640s?  I've seen the HP640s in your other posts, but not the Elliptrac.  I have a pair of EV HR90s sitting on top of my Belles, but they have 1.4 inch throats and will not fit the M200.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dpunk said:

Yes, the Elliptrac 400.  The M200 has a very low compression ratio, which supposedly gives it a more "relaxed" sound than other compression drivers.  (It's basically a 2 inch diaphragm feeding a 2 inch exit, without a phase plug.)  It would seem like a natural choice for the Elliptrac, but it has an upper limit of 4 KHz and therefore needs a tweeter.

 

If I understood your post correctly, you have the Elliptrac and the HP640s?  I've seen the HP640s in your other posts, but not the Elliptrac.  I have a pair of EV HR90s sitting on top of my Belles, but they have 1.4 inch throats and will not fit the M200.

Yes correct I have both,  just recently acquired the Eliptracs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dpunk said:

Yes, the Elliptrac 400.  The M200 has a very low compression ratio, which supposedly gives it a more "relaxed" sound than other compression drivers.  (It's basically a 2 inch diaphragm feeding a 2 inch exit, without a phase plug.)  It would seem like a natural choice for the Elliptrac, but it has an upper limit of 4 KHz and therefore needs a tweeter.

 

If I understood your post correctly, you have the Elliptrac and the HP640s?  I've seen the HP640s in your other posts, but not the Elliptrac.  I have a pair of EV HR90s sitting on top of my Belles, but they have 1.4 inch throats and will not fit the M200.

 

I just bought a pair of M200's and plan to build tractrix horns to match.  I was told to expect outstanding results.  My understanding is that low compression ratio is also used in Palladiums and I am very pleased with them. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

 

I just bought a pair of M200's and plan to build tractrix horns to match.  I was told to expect outstanding results.  My understanding is that low compression ratio is also used in Palladiums and I am very pleased with them. 

 

 

 

 

I hope you'll keep us posted on how it sounds when you're done:)

This post explains how to notch out the 6.5 Khz peak in the M200 if you use a passive crossover:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/10330-question-for-djk/&tab=comments#comment-74920

 

Edited by dpunk
addendum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be a while before I get to this.  Too many projects and too busy with work. 

 

I am planning on crossing over to a Beyma SMC-8060 tweeter at about 3500 or 4000 Hz.  I have JBL 2404s, but the Beyma should work better because it goes lower. 

 

I just looked at the FR of the M200 and see what you mean.  It probably needs to be crossed at about 3kHz and add the filter. 

 

I'll mark the thread to have the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got the Community M200 Mid driver in an Eliptrac 400 mated with a B&C DE-120 in the Eliptrac HF. I'm set up with an active 3-way system using a DBX Driverack PA2+. This crossover/DSP uses a measurement mic for in-room calibration. I think it's a marvelous setup. Couldn't be happier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...