Small center and two floorstanding or large center and bookshelf for medium size room?

holtzmanator

I am about to upgrade my front three speakers in my home theater system. My room is a medium sized L shaped room that is 12' from the tv to the back wall and 15' wide. the front speakers are unfortunately squished together because of closet doors on either side of the TV, with the center right under the TV and the front side channels about 2' on either side of the center. I use this system for both playing music and watching movies, and I have a klipsch 450 subwoofer and a pair of cheap pioneer bookshelf speakers as the rears. My question is, would I be better off going with the rp-250s floor standing speakers and a rp-250c center channel, or a pair of rp-150m bookshelf speakers an an rp-450c center channel? Either way I would have 6 5.25" woofers, but it just changes whether I have four in the center or four on the sides. I do plan on buying a house in a year or two, so i want this system to be future-proof, so I am leaning a bit towards the floor standing speakers. Thanks for any help and advice you guys can offer!

Edited by holtzmanator

31 minutes ago, holtzmanator said:

Either way I would have 6 5.25' woofers, but it just changes whether I have four in the center or four on the sides.

Interesting thinking!  Dialog is 90% of the content for TV and movies, and 90% of the dialog comes out of the center.  My vote is always to get the best center speaker you can find then build around it, so RP-450c for me. 

If you get the bookshelves for L/R and you don't like that setup, move them to surrounds and buy whatever L/R sounds better.  There are always deals on pre-owned like RF-7's that may cost less and sound better.

I picked up the RF-83's, RC-64 and RS-62's (not pictured) for the same price as a new pair of RP-250F's.

RF-83, RC-64, RW 12d, DIY Dayton Audio Reference 15.

Image00002dave.jpg

• Like 2

I use a big old pro line Yamaha folded horn 2 way for my center with my heresy I as mains. When I had my Cornwall’s I and II’s I still had to turn the Yamaha down a lot because it has a 103dbb so I’ve always been very happy with it and believe that your center should be as large as you can fit into your room
781a7930ea3931f62ef328c7862dd559.jpg for one watt and it makes a great tv stand lol. 4735b5be6b7113543dd4720cc7edb746.jpg9b3d2596a7e19dc2700068ab7ffe4982.jpg

• Like 1

Always get the best center you can afford. It’s the most important speaker, outside of dialogue, 60% of the sound effects come from it, so it needs to be dynamically as capable or more capable than the left and right.

How much space do you have for the center? You could probably just buy two pairs of 160ms and use a single speaker for the center, or you could go with a 440c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2