Monkey wards SE 6BQ5 console, WG&Co. tubes?

mike stehr

Ten bucks.

Montgomery Wards 'Airline' Single-ended 6BQ5 AM/FM receiver phono console.

The most homely console I had ever seen, see ya!

The all-in one(except phono)unit itself works great, it came with 12' inch woofers.

(It's doing the local college jazz station real well.)

It came with the original tubes, which are 'WG&Co.' branded, made in the USA.(What brand would these be?)

The 6BQ5 output tubes have black plates, as with most of the others except the 7025 driver tubes, which are more grey.

(They were pretty much totally dead on my tester, and one had chunks of getter flash that had come off of the glass and was loose inside.)

Now the 7025 would be a low noise version of a 12AX7?

They spec out the same, and I swapped the 7025's out for 12AX7's.(It works just fine, no fires.)

I had some other tubes to replace some other weak tubes in the unit, scavenged from another tube receiver.

WG & co. stands for Wells - Gardner which made private branded radios for Montgomery Ward and others. I Ran a search on Google for Montgomery Ward airline and turned up that tidbit. There is a ton of info available. Could you post the model number ? There is likely a pic available somewhere.