Changing Screen Font Sizes in Explorer

No Disc

Craig,

They slow down my system... ??? I don't think they're cached locally, will have to twiddle with IE 6 settings... when I go to a thread with a large number of posts, in which there are a lot of little smiley / frowney faces, and I'm watching the status bar say something like:

(117 items to go) http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/edit.asp?mode=reply&pageNo=1...

and it's clicking down 117 ... 116 ... 115 ... 114 ... etc., my personal smiley face starts to droop a little...

oh, and I'm on a DSL line here at the office, 135Kb or so, it's the fastest service I could get without spending $$$ - apparently Branford CT. is not high on the SNET / SBC / DSL / AT&T hit list for high speed service.

Ray,

How slow is your PC ?? IE will still say that whether they are cached locally or being loaded of the net. If your Temp internet files are overloaded and the PC's hard drive is highly fragmented it can slow you down as IE searchs for the files locally. Also there are settings for how much space IE can use and what type of files it caches locally.

My PC is a 2.3 GHZ P4 with a Raid controller striping files off 2 7200 rpm drives at once so maybe others won't have the speed I do. Also I find XP does a much better job on the NET then any derivative of Win9X. and of coarse I'm sure cable modem doesn't hurt either.

Craig

Now we see where your money goes....

Ray - that is sure a rather homogenized way of designing with all things rounded to the users on bias. I personally like seeing other perspectives and enjoy the different site designs and visions as well as the unique and sometimes esoteric portrayal of information, which includes the aethetic use of graphics. And no, I don't lock my sites so users cant change the text....but I do specify text size and font type as I belive in the art of layout, much like a magazine, paper, or book, which also retains graphics, text, and layout.

I believe sites are used for various purposes but saying that you NEVER EVER look at graphics is a sad day. When you are pouring over your Robert Harley info bible, do you tape over the pics? heh...

Shoot me a link to a site you did. I would be interested.

kh

Mobile,

"Now we see where your money goes...."

I take it this was meant for me and my speed deamon PC lol !!

Actually I spend very little keeping my PC fairly up to date speed wise. I wait for a friend who wants to update his slower PC and sell him my components and build him a PC with them. Never make any money off it just update mine with his money. So as you can see I play it on the cheap with everything ! Its a win win deal for both parties. I've been building PC's for about 10 years now.

Craig

Original site (Freshnex.com) is in the big bit bucket in the sky... actually, I have the servers and code and am charged with being "custodian" until the B of D decides they are sufficiently CYA'd and discharge the dept through chapter 7, but I am forbidden from turning anything on. I hate lawyers...

Newer site will be up on November 1. I am not doing the touchy feely part of that site, I'm just handling the transaction processing section (Informix Dynamic Server v7.3 with FourJs BDL and web front end). The statement about avoiding graphics was a bit of hyperbole. Obviously, if one is designing a home page for a B2C site that's going to provide an online store front or something, art is in the presentation. What I was (going a bit over the top in) saying was that I find it annoying when I'm trying to use a B2B system, say something for supply chain management or a trading platform, and the designer has overloaded the pages with a heavy graphics load to make it look pretty, when all I really need is a simple input form and tables displaying information.

The PC I'm using is a state-of-the-1997-art box. P3-500 (? maybe slower...) with 256Meg RAM, ATI Rage 128 with 32Meg memory, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2020u monitor, no sound card, three SCSI drives from back when 4.5 Gig PC drives were considered *VERY* big, few ancillary bits and pieces. If I had the money I'd upgrade the box, but having just filed chapter 7 (see reference to Freshnex, above... :( ) I'm not really able to do anything about it right now.

Did everyone else loose, like, half their posts when the newer badder board came up?