Changing Screen Font Sizes in Explorer

No Disc

I believe some of you are having issues with screen fonts displaying too small on this new BBS.

On the Macintosh with Internet Explorer you can use Command + or Command - to change screen sizes.

In Windows, using Intnet Explorer you can use Alt - V, x, then G or L or A

G = Largest L = Larger and A = smallest

Hope this helps some of you. If your using AOL then I have no idea and you might be SOL.

- tb

This is so weird. My PC is setup dual boot Windows ME and XP and both are completey up to date IE 6.0. If I use the veiw/text larger or smaller all it changes on the forum is the signature text the message stays the painfully small size no mater what I do in either OS ........... Frustrating as hell ! When I type my replies it uses the larger font and all other web sight for the most part use the larger size. But this cotton pickin forum no way no how !!!

Tim,

What EL84's are you looking for ?? I have a few 2 sets of mullards :) eat your heart out ! I have GE's and sylvania's and some Russian Miltary spec tubes that are basically Sovteks if you ask me. I compared the 7189 russian tubes to the sovteks made today and they are physically Identical in every way. I believe that sovtek bought the tooling that was uses for the military tubes.

Craig

Well, although I hate to ruin the general record around here in relation to our agreement on matters, and this seems to only happen at the end of the month.... but changing the font size via the view->TEXT SIZE command via IE 5.5 yields only changes in certain text (ie Craig's sig) BUT NOT THE TEXT within the post via my machine.

Granted, I realize it is enacting change within some versions and computers but with my version of IE 5.5 128bit encryption with the absolute latest patches, the post text remains the same going from smallest to largest. It doesnt happen to bother me too much and I am running 1280x1024 on a 21" monitor. But Craig has not lost his mind on THIS issue (of course, others....heh).

Tim, you will see some serious improvement in your EICO with even RCA/GE NOS EL-84 over those JJ. The JJ are adequate and do the job but are just not up to the level of even US NOS, let alone Mullard. I think it's worth a look.

Well Mobile you did just that.

Justin's seems to have the same result as the PCs I tried at work. So it seems that someting is different in both yours and Craigs setups... I wish I had a pc here to test, but I only have access to those at the office.

There could be something in the preference setttings within your browsers thats causing it, but im not sure. If I have time tomorrow I'll try to tinker around more with it.

I understand your pain Craig, thats why I use Mac.

- tb

Mobile - I'll have to hunt some NOS EL-84s up then... Thanks.

As for clicking that ignore web page text option, I WOULD NOT DO IT as it will throw the design off on 99% of the pages you view. Being in web design, this is a nightmare as your text spacing is a set as you can make it to work within a page design.

Besides, on the whole, large text looks cartoonish to me. Yet this forum WAS harder to read until they made a few changes.

Mobile,

Well it is indeed the end of the month so I guess we will have to get along .... but the new month starts in 20 minutes :) If using this setting indeed throws off other pages I'll just use Ctrl /mouse wheel to adjust !!

jnorv ,

Thanks your the man ! My eyes are already loving it !!

Mobile,

Do you want to force the display of a website to follow the author's configuration (fonts, sizes, colors, etc.) as you are a designer yourself and are interested in how other designs are crafted, or am I misunderstanding you?

I'm curious, because in the designs I do, I take exactly the opposite tack - I try to make the page as, uh, flexible (?) as possible so that the user can override any and all settings and force the display to follow their preferences. That is, I *NEVER* specify *ANYTHING* in terms of absolutes (point size, pixel dimensions, font family, etc.). I *ALWAYS* use relative sizing - spec table layout in terms of % of screen size, spec font sizes in relative terms, etc. I'm of the opinion that one of the biggest advantages that the web provides to people using applications is that they can configure the presentation according to their needs. I am working on a website right now that involves manufacturers. One of my partners is 83 years old, and his eyesight is fair, at best. For him to be able to read a page, he bumps up the font sizes as large as possible, and has his screen resolution set to 1024 X 780 to make the fonts even bigger. On the other extreme, I'm using a 20 inch monitor with the resolution set to 1800 X 1440, small Windows fonts selected, and Explorer set to the "smallest" text size option. Tables and reports that he views on his system look way different than they do on my system. This is a good thing. Using relative sizing and placement allows us each to optimize our systems to best suit our needs.

I am also a big believer in absolutely forbidding the use of any images on any pages (I *HATE* websites that throw images at me when simple, plain text would convey all the info I need). That's one of the few bones of contention I have with this BBS (both old and new versions) - things like the emoticons, the avatars and such add no value to the system and increase the page size and load time significantly. Just because increasing numbers of people have access to broadband connectivity is no reason to abuse the bandwidth with needless garbage, any more than the fact that PC's now have gazigabytes of RAM and hard disk is no reason to write bad, inefficient code.

Okay, rant over...

Ray,

The img files like the smiley faces and other cute little emotions really are no big deal for even a 28800 modem connection for anyone that frequents this forum. They are precached on your hard drive and don't add to load times at all ! Now major pictures inserted in a thread are a different story.

Craig