Hey sub experts, help with this problem

Orange Peel

Here's a pic of my JL Audio sub that goes in my car....

jlsub.jpg

See where the wire from the woofer is broken off the post? This has happened about 4 times, 2 other wires going to other posts have melted off as well, I have welded them back on the post everytime, but they keep melting off. I'm not underpowering it by any means, it probably getting somewhere near 300 watts to it, from a Orion HCCA 225, it's a high current competition amp.

Any suggestions? I have it running in parrallel, it's a dual voice coil sub.

Thanks in advance!

I would probably say the problem isn't from underpowering it, probably the other way around but still it shouldn't be doing that. Try using a harder solder that won;t melt until at a higher tem. Be careful though, I would use a heat sink on the speaker sider of the wire when you solder to ensure you dont damage the cone. ALso need to make sure you get the post hot enough to make a good bond. Maybe your not melting but overextending the woofer. Possible a a woofer made for a enclosed box and you are using a poted box? I have tore the wires right out of the cone in a car system before.

Good Luck.9.gif

I re-sourdered it again, seems to be working for now, I think that sub is on its last leg 8.gif

It's not in a ported box, it's in the JL Stealth box made for the Camaro. Totally sealed enclosure. I think I may be over extending the woofer like you say, and just ripping the wires off the post. I re-wired it in series to cut down on the current being ran to it, hopefully it will cut this out.

Hi Peeler I have come across this before with installs on mega systems, your power is quite high but this is not the problem,Your problem is the wire was made to short for the power you are putting in to these,On the outwards throw on the driver the wire pulls apart from the solder.A quick fix that I have done is to get an old speaker wire and solder it together to lengthen this about 1/2" and resolder this together.This will solve your problem.2.gif