Suggestions needed for upgrades

BadAndyMan

Hi all,

I am an audiophile wannabe and I am looking into upgrading my current home theater sound experience. II have had my current setup for about 4 years and I am just not 100% satisfied with it. It sounds little muddy especially on the Front right and left speakers. I wish I had done a little more research before purchased all the equipment.

I need some help as it has become pretty overwhelming with all of the brands, models and price points out there. I have taking a like to Klipsch from the research I have done and I thought I would come to the experts who have a lot of experience of equipment and knowledge of how sound equipment works.

I like crisp clean sound where the bass packs a house shaking punch!

My Budget - $1600

Usage - Movies/Music/Video Games

Speaker distances from the primary sitting spot.

• Front L and R - 11 ft.
  • Center - 10.4 ft
  • Surround L 5ft
  • Surround R 4ft
  • Sub 8 ft.

Living Room Size - roughly 260 square feet

What I currently own 

• Front L and R - BIC  DV64
  • Center - Polk  CS10
  • Surround - Klipsch KB-15 Icon bookshelf
  • Sub - BIC  F12
  • AVRYamaha RX-V377

Side note - There is a pair of new R-28f speakers for $550 on craigslist in my area right now. I have my eye on those but I will wait for suggestions. The guy bought them at bestbuy on blackfriday but they are too big for his setup. He will return them tomorrow if nobody buys them.

I think your Yamaha is a decent receiver, I would keep it.

I would keep your Klipsch bookshelves as surrounds.

The R-28Fs would be a massive upgrade over your BICs.

Matching center for the R-28Fs is the R-25C - retail $250 but easily found online for $175.

So far you've spent $725 of your budget, leaving about $1,000 for a subwoofer.  This will make the biggest impact on the bass packing a punch.  If you want to stay with Klipsch all around, the R-115SW with it's massive 15" woofer is a formidable subwoofer that retails for $899.

Total spent - $1624.

One thing to factor in is using some of the money you'll make selling your old gear, assuming you'll be doing that.  In that case I'd recommend going up a step in your center speaker to something like the RP-440C.

That would give you an awesome home theater that most anyone would be proud of!  🎥 📺 🎶

BadAndyMan,

Welcome to the forum.

3 hours ago, BadAndyMan said:

II have had my current setup for about 4 years and I am just not 100% satisfied with it. It sounds little muddy especially on the Front right and left speakers. I wish I had done a little more research before purchased all the equipment.

3 hours ago, BadAndyMan said:

What I currently own 

• Front L and R - BIC  DV64
  • Center - Polk  CS10
  • Surround - Klipsch KB-15 Icon bookshelf
  • Sub - BIC  F12
  • AVRYamaha RX-V377

Well, you have yourself an eclectic array of speakers that most likely have a timbre matching issue which just may explain your disappointment.   Above all else, make sure your front three(L-C-R) are as close to tonally matched as you can get, whether all Klipsch, BIC's, Polk's, etc.  If possible, have all speakers match by choosing same brand from same line.

1 hour ago, BadAndyMan said:

What are your thoughts on moving the BICs to the rear? I have not decided what I will do with the equipment I have as it could potentially be useful for my computer room which I play games on as well. 

Yes move your current speakers to a secondary system or sell to fund new speakers.

Bill