commercial rap...

prodj101

is it me, or has the popular rap just completely fallin off in the last couple of years? "It's gettin hot in here, so take off all your clothes", real clever lyrics. I remember back when Snoop, Dre, Pac, and B.I.G. were still around, the rhymes were still slick, and the beats were too. Now you have stuff like above. The only good new rap around anymore is UG (underground) rap, stuff like Typical Cats, Atmosphere, Rhyme Sayers, etc. They can actually do some stuff that is listenable, but who wants to listen to some guy with the scruffiest voice ever saying "shake yo a$$, watch ya self!" for 5 minutes?

I hear ya there bro, I haven't been able to listen to much rap since Ice Cube was putting out GOOD albums. Some of the more recent Dr. Dre and Snoop stuff is alright. Same with Eminem if you look past the insane subject matter of some of his lyrics.(Dre really does know how to mix a beat)I rememeber when rap was about telling a story... not the same chorus over and over and over again. Most pop rap or hip hop songs now are more like a malt liquor commercial jingle. Growing up I had De La Soul, Ice Cube, NWA, Public Enemy, Ice T. and a couple of my fav's were Too Short and K Solo. Most of their songs had a message or story.... I mean besides take your clothes off or shake your a$$.

oldskool is the wya to go when it comes to rap, (i.e. grand master flash, the old snoop and dre stuff), now that was good stuff. This new rap is really makin me sick, I don't even like the new snoop and dre. I am scaring myself! I can actually say that all rap sounds the same now!

I have to say, I listen to DJ Shadow, a New York DJ, and on some of his records, he uses some East Coast rap to phatten the beat. It is all good. On Modern Mantra, he is combining techno, (acid) jazz, rap, and electronic music together, it is great!

Some of the new stuff is so incredibly horrible, I cannot believe it. For me, I just want music that sounds good. In rap, a good beat, well-recorded, and good lyrics are what is required.

The new "pop" stuff is just horrible.

Yep, I have Premptive Strike. I also have Entroducing, it is good, but some of the songs are so-so. Both of those CD's are on the very top of my list, though.

Try DJ Tiesto (In My Memory), Paul Van Dyk (The Politics of Dancing, 2 CD set), and DJ Spooky (Modern Mantra), they are absolutly incredible. The articst and the CD's mentioned above:

DJ Tiesto is the normal DJ stuff, but a little dark, in a good way. I am a dark person, so this CD hit a groove in me.

Paul Van Dyk is the KING, it is awsome!!! Must be heard. One of the few CD's I crank over 100 dB. on a regular basis.

DJ Spooky is, well, acid jazz, rap, techno, etc. all rolled up into one 26-track CD. It starts out loud and lively, and in the end, has faded to ambient industrial. If you want something different, this is it.

If anyone wants, I'll e-mail you a Excel spreadsheet of all my CD's. Use my REAL e-mail, not private message. We can also "talk" (ndge nudge, wink wink) about the CD's (nudge nudge, wink wink) Oh, did I mention (nudge nudg, wink wink) I got a new 32X burner?