nOrh

Poleelop

I'm pretty sure I would have bought this had I waited....even though I don't know anything about it. Granted, I don't know anything about tubes, so what does it matter?

Anyway, as many of you know, nOrh makes a 9 WPC SE with the following:

2 Electro Harmonix EL34EH Power Tubes

2 Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH Drive Tubes

5AR4 rectifier tube (not a 10-cent diode)

Alps Volume Control

Platinum plated switches

Ceramic tube sockets

20Hz to 70Khz

6 volts into 4 ohms and 8.5 volts into 8 ohms

Class A, consumes 80 watts

Thoughtfully engineered - weighs 14 KG

Well....they just announced the SE-18 to begin shipping later this month. It doubles the horsepower and adds a phono pre-amp....all for $795

....in case anyone is interested.

The nOrh does sound like a good buy but I doubt you will ever regret buying your AQ1003DT after it arrives and you've listened to it for a while. As I type I am listening to Stephanne Grappelli and Oscar Peterson hamming it up in my living room.

I recently had the experience of having a friend hear my system and he said that he would buy an AQ and some better speakers if he ever had that kind of money. I was puzzled because he has always made more money than I. I asked him what he thought the AQ sold for. He said: "I dunno but I would think something over five!"

I said well a bit more than twice that actually! He looked at me in shock and said your wife must have hit the roof when you spent 10 grand for that thing!!

I wish I had the literary skills to adequately describe the look on his face when I explained that I had thought he meant $500 and that the amp had set me back just a hair over C$1100.00

I'm betting the Norh uses a passive volume pot, and not a full blown preamp section like the ASL. So, with the Norh, you get SET with a tube rectifier and passive preamp section. With the ASL, you get push-pull, and a true preamp section.

Tried the passive thing, and didn't care for it -- not one bit.

• 7 months later...

I, too, am waiting for the SE-18 to come out. I heard it in Lima, Ohio at the Midwest audiofest..and was really impressed and I can only salivate... woops... Dream, LOL, what it would be like with my Klipschorns. Check the website out and I am sure you will find this is not just some "cheapo" copycat tube amp coming out of the Asia area.

What you will get, is a beautiful amp, made by hand, tested, re tested, and proudly beating the others at their own game... Yes from Thailand, but it has to be made someplace. Why not from a man and employees fanatical about audio...... Hmm sounds like Klipsch too.