Chorus II

gazelle

I recently purchased a set of Chorus II's (oiled oak), Man I love em! I know that the Academy is the preferred center channel, but it is real hard to come by, not sure if I trust e-bay. Same story with the KLFC-7. I was wondering if anyone had tried the RC-7 with the Chorus II? If so how do they sound. I am also looking into purchasing a second set of Chorus II for the rear surrounds, I have a line on someone selling them for a good price. Two problems one is that they are darker oak. Can they be refinished or should I just leave them alone? Second I have to convince the wife on letting go of the floor space. All comments are appreciated. 9.gif

My two cents......

Your best option sonically (ignoring space considerations) would be a Chorus II at center. That's right, a Chorus II.

Up to 75% of your 5.1 sound goes through that center channel. Ideally, it should be as robust as the two mains. Also critical is "timbre matching" - you want the center to sound as close as possible to the Chorus II - that's why the Chorus II is the best sonic choice at center.

If you do not have room for a Chorus II at center (try to make room, try to make room, did I say try to make room?) - then you may consider one of the center channel models designed for that purpose.

Academy: The best timbre match for the Chorus II. Yes, it's hard to get, but very worthwhile. I use one between my Cornwall II's, and find it to be a very good match - especially for dialogue. The best in the specialty centers from Klipsch for your application.

I've been told that some are using a KLFC7, with OK results. It will be closer to the Chorus II's than the RC7 would be. I would try to get an Academy, if possible.

If you cannot get an Academy (and it might take a while to find one), use the Chorus II's in Phantom mode (where the two mains play the center when you don't have a center). This is preferable to having a mismatched center, and actually works quite well. It will be serviceable until you get the desired center channel.

Chorus II finishes: It is doubtful that you could change the darker Chorus II finish to match the Oil Oak set. I have a similar problem: OO Cornwall II's as mains, with Chorus in walnut as rears. Both have veneer (MDF board underneath), so sanding it down and getting the finishes to match would be difficult. I decided to just leave them as is. If color matching is the ultimate goal, you may get the second Chorus II pair anyway, then sell them when that Oil Oak pair comes along - or just wait for the OO. If the Chorus II's you are looking at are a fair price, you'll have no trouble reselling them when you find the OO pair.

And yes, those Chorus II's at rear will sound awesome, especially on 5.1 audio tracks. Play "The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over" through such a system, and you'll understand.

5 Chorus II's would sound very yummy:)

Hope this helps!

Yes, it may sound crazy to try to fit a Chorus II in as a center, but it can be done under the right circumstances. I'm using a Forte as a center for my Chorus speakers. Currently it is sitting on a shelf suspended from the ceiling joists over my RPTV. When I find a pair (or single Forte) that is in good mechanical condition (but can be crappy cosmetic condition), I'll take it and rebuild the motor board to permit it to lay on its side over the TV rather than standing on its head. (I have it inverted so that the horn is down close to the height of the Chorus horns.)

DD

The Chorus II, Forte II, and Quartet all share the same midrange horn and driver. The tweeters are similar.

A Chorus II would make an exact match for the center but the other two should be very close.

Of course none of these are sheilded, to my knowledge, and you might have issues with the TV.

Gil