*sniff* What's that smell?

Hey

I bought the 5.1's about a month ago (and they're awesome believe me). Though I think it's amazing how you guys can create such great sound at high volumes, I rarely turn them up above 40. Today, however, someone wanted to check them out. I left a responsible friend with them and left for a minute or two. When I came back, the music had died down, and there was this industrial, metallic smell in the room.

The kid in charge was like "Smell that? My physics teacher told me that's from the sub when too much current goes through it."

Is this normal, or are my speakers just "special"? From what I gathered, the things weren't turned up above 60 or 65.

Thanks

I kinda doubt he is telling the truth about the volume never being over 65... unless your line out level is super high 2.gif

you WILL get that. bassy music at a high volume, 65-80, will do it, i have had it happen a few times when i was blastin gmovie saway with my dual 5.1 setup and i had a techno'ish music thing here once and had it happen. i just turn it down, by the time it happens the ear wax in my ears starts to melt anyways LMAO!3.gif

I get that as well... but it never stops...

Just turn them down and allow them to cool for a while. My PM's don't get much action anymore, though. :) The KG's put out just as much, if not more bass, though it isn't boomy. It is very clear and connected. I need a sub, though, for that added punch.... will probably be a DIY, if I can find a good driver for a decent price-- less than $40.

"Dissassembling the sub voids tha warranty... I would advise against this"

Yes it does,but if they cant tell if the unit was open it will not void anything,I open all the speakers,subs and amps I have.ALL I like to see what is inside and how it is assembled,I just use the correct tools and take extra care not to strip any screws,it does not even show the unit was open.

I never had any problems with warranty coverage.

If they wont know it will not hurt. 2.gif Just discharge the caps and dont stick your fingers in the cap leads or ZAPPPPP you will see stars and may end up on the show Life in the ER on TLC! LOL