Correct surround speakers for RF-7 ii and RC-64 ii

whostorm05

I'm sure this has been asked before but an initial search didn't reveal the answer.

I have a pair of RF-7 ii's up front along with the RC-64 ii center.  I'm currently using some RF-62 ii's as my rears.  If I wanted to go full 7.1 and change out the RF-62's what would be my correct matching options to my fronts?  Would it be the RP-250s and RP-160m?  Would the RP-250s be the back speakers and the RP-160m the right/left surround speakers or vice versa?  Any other suggested combos?

You can use them for both back and surrounds. I like it because you cannot localize the sound and it really feels like it surrounds you. The other option would be to get a pair of direct firing back speakers like the RB-81s. I have the RF-7 IIs as well and I use two pairs of RS-52 IIs and they match well and create a nice sound field. 

E8DFBA99-D3F8-46D6-9CAE-62778C942C1A.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, whostorm05 said:

Thank you.  Would I use the same model for both side surround and rear surround?  Two total pairs of RS-62 II's?

I use (4) RS-62 II for side and back surrounds.  Some guys like to use wide dispersion (RS-52 II, RS-62II etc) for side surrounds and then use direct radiating for back surrounds (RB-61 II, RB-81 II etc) for surround back.  Merely preference on which you prefer.  You can see in the video below how I have my surrounds setup.

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Your RF62s would work as surrounds.

Absolutely.  Some guys also prefer to use floorstanding speakers for surrounds.  Again, available space, budget and preference all play a part in what works best for your room.

1 minute ago, Youthman said:

Absolutely.  Some guys also prefer to use floorstanding speakers for surrounds.  Again, available space, budget and preference all play a part in what works best for your room.

Yessir, they might be a little low but like you said available space might help you decide.