A Basic Speaker Connection Question

ksquared

I've read about bi-amping, and almost understand the theory, and might be able to set that up.

However, that's not what I'm attempting to do here.

I want one set of speakers, and two different amps.  One amp for playing the TV, BD, etc., and the other amp for playing vinyl records.

Long ago, T2K stated about a switching system, where two amps could be connected to two sets of speakers, and the system would route things correctly.  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/1143-two-pairs-of-mains/&tab=comments#comment-9800

But that doesn't seem to be what I'm really trying to do here.

So here is the question, and I'm hoping to get those more knowledgeable than me (which is just about everybody LOL) to see if I'm doing this correctly or if I'm going to destroy something.

Can amp#1 be connected to the top speaker posts (Red and Black) and amp#2 connected to the bottom speaker posts (Red and Black), without destroying everything connected?  I have left the little top post to bottom post connectors connected, since it is my understanding that the only time they would be removed is if it was truly a correct bi-amp setup.

The rule would be then only one amp could be on at any given time.  I don't know what would happen if both were turned on simultaneously, but I don't want to find out here, maybe theoretically would be interesting.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ksquared said:

The rule would be then only one amp could be on at any given time

DO NOT do this as you (or someone else) will "forget" this "rule."  (And possibly damage one or both amps.)

One solution is to buy an "amp" switch, allowing you to select the amp you want to use. (Note; pretty sure you CANNOT use this with tube amps.) Better solution is just to add some Klipsch speakers ... you can never have enough :D 

Not knowing what amps you have I cannot give you any specifics.  But ... here is "my example." I have got my TV, Bluray, DVD, TT, etc hooked up to an AVR. AVR has a "zone 2" out which I have hooked up to a vintage Marantz amp (with separate speakers).  Voila ... no problem :D (Also using a "pre-out" from the AVR to feed another vintage Yamaha amp on rear speakers.)

Cheers, Emile

6 minutes ago, kvndoom said:

This article shows a DIY amp selector with a 4PDT switch.  Makes sense, because the common ground could still fry your amps.

http://audio-room.net/connecting-2-amplifiers-to-one-set-of-speakers-making-an-ampspeakers-selector-switch/

Wow, thanks for that article!  That pretty much is the definitive answer.

I was happy to read though that there are other people besides me wondering about this.

So thank you both kvndoom and Emile.