Single driver suggestions

joessportster

Guest wdecho

He is known to push the limits on any of his projects. New and different and not the same old same old. For instance ricieb's new XA25. Mosfets never used in audio before. Big transistors called hockey pucks by some. 

I built the madisound bk16 a few years back and they did sound very nice, A friend paired them with some monster subs and ended up with what I thought sounded like a great system, I seriously considered building again the BK20 is indeed a nice project. I have tried several single drivers over the years, Fostex, Cain & Cain, Zu, Lowther, AER, among others.  My music tastes have changed over the years and while in the past lack of Bass  etc... was a concern I dont think it is anymore.  I came across a pair of Terry Cain designed and built rear loaded horns using 1 of the more rare fostex drivers at a great price. More research though has me wondering if my room is to small even for those.  If I could travel back in time and get the Cain & Cain abby's I had I think they would be the perfect speaker for my room.  I cant find anything about anyone still building them, I know when Terry Cain passed they handed to torch off to someone

The longest running pair of speakers I've ever had are Lowther PM2a drivers in Medallion enclosures driven by Quicksilver SET300B monoblocks.

Still have them. Will never sell them. Will definitely rorate them back into the main system at some point.

Folks either love Lowthers or hate Lowthers - I happen to love them.

There will be compromises with any single driver speaker system. In my opinion, you'll end up getting the that does what's important to you really well and the compromises won't be as apparent.

YMMV....