was a 1uF cap used in a Type AA "AB" style tweeter section?

karlson3

DJK mentioned that a long time ago - tried it once but did not take measurements

I added the 1uF to that drawing -  should have titled this  - - "AB Style Tweeter Section Mod" - can't remember if the value recommended was 1uF - or perhaps ~0.68uF ?

33573d1321699101-kef-style-acoustic-butt

I think "this" is the general effect of using the bridging 1uF cap - possibly flatten

the passband and to create a notch around 3K5 .  A good measurement could be put

into Xsim to get more of the story.

In a Diyaudio thread, there's a comment saying the aB type behaves more like a 1st order highpass with a notch than 3rd order.  With an AA, it would be easy to try and switch be wired to jumper the cap when desired for comparison.  Apparently, KEF used theirs tuned to the resonance frequency of the tweeter.

yOzBcKQ.jpg

Two things: the K-77-M has a response hump in the 6 to 9k range and runs about 105 dB there.  The Type AA eq's the hump out and drops the output to match the rest of the speaker.  That hump is the ONLY thing I didn't like about Al K's Universal xovers.  The tweeter was just too hot. Mr. Paul was right.

Thanks for the perspective ( - can't remember why DJK suggested the aB mod -?)

otherwise, did you like ALK's Universal better than an AA?  Where there two schemes? (I bought parts for one but might misplaced them )   I think my graph below is with Type A and mic height at K400's center

5qLykfJ.gif

less smoothing

k85r1z8.gif

5 hours ago, JohnA said:

Two things: the K-77-M has a response hump in the 6 to 9k range and runs about 105 dB there.  The Type AA eq's the hump out and drops the output to match the rest of the speaker.  That hump is the ONLY thing I didn't like about Al K's Universal xovers.  The tweeter was just too hot. Mr. Paul was right.

All of the replacement tweeters that people are using also run on the high side through that area - so the AA works well for those too. 

6 hours ago, karlson3 said:

Thanks for the perspective ( - can't remember why DJK suggested the aB mod -?)

otherwise, did you like ALK's Universal better than an AA?  Where there two schemes? (I bought parts for one but might misplaced them )   I think my graph below is with Type A and mic height at K400's center

I liked the ALKs a little better, but the tweeter was too much, plus Type AA Klipschorns were the ones I first heard and it is the sound I expect from Klipsch. 

BTW, that's a fine looking in room response curve!