Vinyl Black Hole

I am contemplating returning a rare vinyl record because the hole is off center. The music is otherwise compelling. Interesting how a simple little miscalculation can ruin a recording which might otherwise be sonically fine. When the hole is off the record seems to speed up and slow down assymetrically as you listen. This tonal wavering can drive you nuts.

I never before thought about a remedy, thinking it impossible, but here is a possible route. One could fill in the hole with some kind of substance which would harden. Then, using a center finder technique or tool (geometrically simple), one could recalculate the precise center and redrill. Any thoughts about the substance to use? a challenging problem way beyond just cleaning a record.

-c&7

I Assume you don't care what the end result looks like. I aslo assume that the hole is not far enough off true center to allow a hole to be drilled adjacent to the off center hole. Rather than trying to fill the original hole, you might consider removing the label and gluing a thin piece of plastic to each side of the center of the record. Then locate true center by carefully placing a record with a centered hole directly on top of the defective record and use the hole to locate the center of the defective record and scribe a circle on the plastic. Then drill a new hole.

Or.....exchange the defective record for a good one.

I will make a template on paper to see just how far off the hole is. If it is precarioulsy close to the original hole I will consider using BONDO to fill the old hole, then re-drill a new more precise hole. I do not understand, nor would I want to hassel with removing the labels. This record although unusual and "rare" was not expensive and may turn up again. It is worth it to try this experiment just to see if it is possible to fix. Vinyl is pressed and then the holes are drilled, so it should be fixable. I can see the tone arm sway too and fro so I know it is the hole which is off center.

I do not know how to remove the labels, what do you know, they seem to be on pretty tight.

-c7s

Clipped,

Not sure if there are any Vinyl window companies in your area. But you could buy whats called liquid PVC to fill the hole with (they us this to seal the mechanical corner on screwed together windows). I think this may work better than Bondo. The problem with bondo is that it may just crumble when you start drilling as the bit get more resistance from the LP. I bet the hole isn't off by much. Just lay another record carefully on top of the one in question and see how far off it is. If you like this idea and can;t find any liquid PVC let me know I can probably get you some and mail it.

Craig

Heat from a hair dryer or heat gun would be a possibility to remove the labels, but you'd risk warping the record. Alcohol might also work.

It is difficult to imagine any method (Bondo, epoxy, etc.) of filling that small hole that would then be strong enough to survive a new hole being drilled into the repair, That is why I considered sandwhiching the record between two thin pieces of plastic. While glue might adhere to the labels, it would adhere better to the plastic.

Alternatively, if you drilled an over-sized hole (say the size of a small poker chip or tiddly wink), you could then insert the chip/wink into the hole and then drill a hole in the center. Something akin to the days of inserts to 45's to play on a regular record player. The problem is that the large hole and the hole in the insert would have to be precisely centered or the insert could turn in the larger hole and the problem would be back.

The lazy way would be to make the exisitng hole large enough so that the record could be centered on the turntable without using the center post as the locating point. You could use your paper template to place the record on the turntable so that it is centered and the tone arm does not move "to and fro."

Or.... you could get another record.

Hey now theres a idea drill a hole the same size as the 45's have and use a 45 adaptor with this album. The only problem with this would be getting the hole centered. **** by the time you go threw all this the record will probably be scratched to heck anyway .....

Craig

You can use the tone arm run out as a measure of the how much the hole is off center. Also tells you in which direction to move the hole. You could then just use a round file to move the hole over and a record clamp to keep the record in position on the table. I use a Sorbothane record mat which effectively glues the record to the table.

Jim N

Hey guys, that is a whole bunch of very good ideas to choose from. I just lined up a good record with the bad one, and guess what, the hole in the off center record is in the exact same place. So it would appear that the grooves themselves are off center in relation to the hole which is on center.

That means the best idea would be to drill an oversized hole and move the record around until the arm does not sway and then use the record clamp to hold it in place.

Thanks for all the good ideas.

-c7s