Floor resonance

jnorv

I live in a 100 year old house with a pier and beam foundation. My sub sets over one of the 4x6 beams but I still seem to drive the floor. Any suggestions on how I calculate the mass of concrete or rock slab that I put under the sub to tame the floor? I have not poked my SPL meter under the sub to get a reading but I ususally listen in the 100 to 105 db room range.

Jim

In case you haven't already,

I suggest try switching the phase 180". That sometimes helps.

Also, by rotating it slightly left or right different acoustical affects can be realized. Just a thought.

Exhaust as many placement possibilties as you can, before bringing in a slab.

Not that a block or marble slab wouldn't do the trick.

A 1" marble patio slab would help.

A 2-3" thick concrete block would too.

But you shouldn't have to do that in order to get good bass response.

These old hardwood, beam and post homes resonate well.

Sometimes finding the right spot can be a chore, at best.

I live in a similiar 100 year old house, so I now where your coming from.

Good luck and have fun.2.gif

There was extensive discussion of this at The Asylum some time ago when I asked the same question.

The thing you need to remember is that since bass involves long pressure waves, it's not just the floor that is resonating. The walls and ceiling also resonate. Also, since the walls are coupled to the floor, any resonances exhibited by the walls, feed back through the floor and ceiling due to the coupling. The situation is exacerbated due to most subs being placed in a corner.

The simplest solution is to get the sub out of the corner if you don't need the addional boost in SPL received from the coupling. HSU Research recommends placing the sub next to the listening position. This will cut down on the amount of resonance.

Another solution involves "mass loading". It's nice to put something solid under the sub, but the greatest benefits are received by putting something solid and heavy on TOP of the sub.