kg-4 crossover schematic, inductor values?????

---------------- On 10/15/2002 6:12:17 AM krustyoldsarge wrote:

Looks like the values are .5mh and 1mh, caps are 3uf, 8uf and 33uf.

----------------

Just in case you want to real-world values. On my pair of KG4s the values came out to be: 1.134mH, 1.134mH, 0.532mH, and 0.530mH.

Thanks for taking the measurements! Actually that's good info for me right now since I am going to try to hit the electronics district in Seoul this weekend to try and snare this (and some other) stuff. Might be able to get something custom wound. Electronics parts are one of the few bargains left here in Koreas. Of course, when you try to buy some of the high end goodies, you pay and a fair bit of the premium stuff is imported from the States!

Also appreciate Trey's reminder to watch the capacitor voltage values on the caps. Always do, and I try to double the voltage rating if I can, in order to bulletproof/derate the project when physically possible.

Also, on my shopping list are electrolytics (they're cheap here) to recap my Marantz' power supply section. Interesting that cap technology has gotten to the point where you can double the capacitance and voltage rating of a 1970's era cap in the same physical case. Also want to trade some electrolytics out of the signal path.

My neighbor's are probably gonna start calling me "Uncle Dielectric" soon. 9.gif

Trey and all,

Just got done shopping in Seoul. Got most of what I was looking for. Ran into a very helpful guy who rebuilds speaker drivers and seems to like us Americans. He hooked me up with some Solens 22uf + 12uf = 34uf X2 from another shop for the woofer side. Also sold me some nice, big used air inductors and complete networks pulled from some "wrecked"JBLs. Saved a chunk of Won there!

I'm on my way (Hopefully not down the Highway to Hell)! Will most likely buy the tweeter caps from the States (next payday)!

How does inductor value work on the tweeter side? Can/should the .5mH be doubled? DO two inductors in series = double value vs. two in parallel = half value (my guess, been many years since electric shop in high school)? I'll check on the web.

Looks like I'll definitely need a new board for this hefty stuff. Mount on the bottom of the box on wooden risers? Outside the box? What do you guys think?

Also picked up enough of some impressive looking German flat silver wire to rewire the guts. Two meters of the stuff wasn't that expensive, and I'm going in there anyway. Here goes another controversial thread!