Louis & Duke The Master Takes

lynnm

I just bought a copy of Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington's The Great Summit / The Master Takes (Roulette Jazz 7243 5 24547 2 3).

This is a 24bit/96Khz digital remastering of their only jointly recorded session which occurred on April 3 & 4 1961. Ellington's orchestra is not present. The disc features:

Louis Armstrong - vocals and trumpet

Duke Ellington - piano

Trummy Young - trombone

Barney Bigard - clarinet

Mort Herbert - bass

Danny Barcelona - drums

Selections:

1.) Duke's Place

2.) I'm Just A Lucky So And So

3.) Cottontail

4.) Mood Indigo

5.) Do Nothin' Till You Here From Me

6.) The Beautiful American

7.) Black And Tan Fantasy

8.) Drop Me Off In Harlem

9.) The Mooche

10.) In A Mellow Tone

11.) It Don't Mean A Thing

(If It Ain't Got That Swing)

12.) Solitude

13.) Don't Get Around Much Anymore

14.) I'm Beginning To See The Light

15.) Just Squeeze Me

16.) I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)

17.) Azalea

Beg , Borrow , Buy , or Steal a copy of this release !

If you want to really understand what your Klipsch system is capable of you need to hear this CD or the original vinyl releases. The liner notes claim this CD release is technically and sonically superior to the original vinyl version - I cannot comment never having heard the LP version. I can however state that I have never heard a sonically superior CD.

As a side note:

It was hearing Louis singing What A Wonderful Life that reintroduced me to Klipsch and resulted in my somehow loading a boxed pair of mahogany KLF30's into/onto my already heavily loaded Olds 98. This disc simply confirms my original decision.

Special Thanks to:

PWK

Louis

Duke

Roger Stovold

How do you find it compares sonically with other CD's in your collection? I have a lot of excellent sounding CD's and LP's and this CD is the best sounding CD I have although I have several that are very nearly as good. Several of my LP's are as nice but I can't think of any that surpass this particular CD.

I find that on average vinyl sounds better than CD but CDs have the potential to sound as good as good as vinyl if the recording and mastering is done with care.

I had been an Ellington fan for years but had not heard the Armstrong/Ellington collaboration perhaps because I'd read some critics opinion that it was not particularly sucessful. Then one day I came across a copy of the first CD release release in a used bin and purchased it. Boy was that critic an idiot.

It is a terrific recording and when the re-mastered version came out, I bought it without hesitation. It sounds great thru my Cornwalls and although I have not heard the original vinyl, the CD does sound much better than average. That last cut "Azalea" sticks and sticks in the memory.

(For those unfamiliar with it, it is the Duke on the piano sitting in with Armstrong's small group at the time doing all Ellington compositions.)

I recently bought around 500 albums for a song and haven't had the time to list them and ask questions but since there was a mention, I'll ask about one now. One of the albums is 'Miles Davis- TUTU'. Any knowledge/comments? Thanks.

Keith

Tutu was one of Miles Davis' last recordings and was a collaboration with Marcus Miller. Kinda on the funky/slapped bass tip with pseudo hip hop drum machine rhythms. It is VERY 80's. They even cover that Scritti Politti song Perfect Way. Remember that one? Some of my fav Miles albums: In a Silent Way, Kind of Blue, *****es Brew, Sketches of Spain & the awesome remix album called PANTHALASSA. Sorry for the Miles hijack.

It appears that on "Tutu", Miles was trying to blend in with the new age type of jazz. It was the beginning of his "new sound." I prefer his recordings while he was with Columbia.

One thing about "Kind of Blue" is that you have to be careful with the earlier digital remastering versions. It was said that they were out of key and/or recorded at the wrong speed, making the pitches slightly higher than in "real life." 10.gif

I may be a bit confused again(what else is new?)but is this recording the same as the Blue Note release with their calalog #24547 The Great Summit: The Master Takes or is this yet ANOTHER release of this album in 24bit/96Khz digital on their Roulette Jazz Label? Are they identical recordings as far as the 24bit/96Khz is concerned?

I'll check the liner notes on my copy after work. I think that this CD was released in 2000.

Roulette Jazz is a Blue Note label. I suspect that the CD's are identical as far as program material but I don't know if the mastering on the CD's is identical.

Just to muddy the waters, I own 24546 2 4, a 2 CD set consisting of 24547 "The Great Summit-The Master Takes" and 24548 "The Making of the Great Summit" (alternate takes). Remastered 24/96. I acquired this set thru BMG at a very reasonable price.