New Heresy III's vs Magnepan MMGi's....

Well, took the plunge and have Heresy III's arriving today. I'll have an apples and oranges shoot-off with my current Magnepan MMGi's. Two ends of the spectrum, ha ha. As much and the MMG's do right, for my typical listening (electric blues, classic rock) they are a tad too "laid back"? They don't quite have the visceral impact to make that type of music exciting. I'll report back in a couple of days....

• Like 1

For about the past 30 years I've basically either had Klipsch's (currently have Chorus II's and Quartets) and/or Magnepan speakers (MMG's, 1.5's, 1.6's, 1.7's, 2.7's).

Two very different approaches to making music and each have their pluses and minuses but to my ears all have been enjoyable (what is feeding them does make a difference).

With the MMG's and the HIII's I'd either have 2 systems or arrange them to easily swap from one to another depending on what I was listening to and mood.

Enjoy and report back!

Yes, make it easy to swap.

Had my Apogee Mini Grands for years next to several Klipsch.  Two totally different animals.  Shoot myself for selling the Mini Grands.

Now I have 1.7i''s sitting next to large home built horns and KLF 30s.  All of those speakers have their plus's but for sure, the Maggie's are much more laid back than the Klipsch or horns in general.

On 7/20/2018 at 10:45 PM, rah said:

For about the past 30 years I've basically either had Klipsch's (currently have Chorus II's and Quartets) and/or Magnepan speakers (MMG's, 1.5's, 1.6's, 1.7's, 2.7's).

Two very different approaches to making music and each have their pluses and minuses but to my ears all have been enjoyable (what is feeding them does make a difference).

With the MMG's and the HIII's I'd either have 2 systems or arrange them to easily swap from one to another depending on what I was listening to and mood.

Enjoy and report back!

So far so good. I too over the years have bounced back and forth from Maggies to Klipsch and understand the attraction of both styles. Right now I'm digging the impact theHeresy III's are offering and that they don't need mega-current to sound dynamic.....