12v trigger for older amps

rplace

I have 5 individual 2-channel amps for my HT. They are older and don't turn on/off via remote. There is about a 2-3 second delay once you use the mechanical power button to turn them on before the power actually "clicks" on and they have power. Would there by any problem leaving them switched on all the time and actually controlling the power via a Niles power strip that is activated via a 12 volt trigger?

I've neve been sure what that delay does and if it is necessary. Also not sure if the delay would happen if in essence switched on/off at the wall rather than the button on the front of the units. I'm guessing there is some sort of internal mechanism that does the delay when it senses power, not the actual button doing the delay. But the button is big, heavy and has a very solid click when depressed. Good solid build quality from the olden days. Now get off my lawn!

I have been using one of the Niles strips that is controlled by 12volts from the pre/pro, without many issues.  Now I did have some higher current amps that would create a pop on the tweeter, but I have since changed those out and don't have that issue. 

• Thanks 1

The delay is to let the upstream equipment settle before powering up amps. Turning on amps immediately may lead to the thumps & pops associated with turning on amps. I’d guess it’s the same reason AVRs delay their amps switching on.  At least it was that way in the car audio world. 

You're likely correct the delay is based based on sensing power rather than the switch itself. 

Edited by BornAgain