What is a good replacement for the NAD2200 that drives my Heresy IIIs?

gctwnl

Thanks all. I did not get mail notifications (I expected that) on replies, so until just now I was under the impression there had been no answers. Anyway, my pre-amp is a NAD 1240.

Is the 356BEE a class A/B? How do I recognize if a NAD is Class A/B?

1 hour ago, gctwnl said:

Thanks all. I did not get mail notifications (I expected that) on replies, so until just now I was under the impression there had been no answers. Anyway, my pre-amp is a NAD 1240.

Is the 356BEE a class A/B? How do I recognize if a NAD is Class A/B?

Yes, class A/B with NAD's proprietary Powerdrive and Soft Clipping.

Excerpt below from 2011 Absolute Sound

According to Greg Stidsen, NAD’s Director of Product Development, the 80Wpc C356BEE sports refinements and upgrades over its predecessor (the well-regarded C355) that Edvardsen lifted directly from NAD’s Master Series M3 dual-mono integrated amplifier. Among these is Edvardsen’s patented Distortion Canceling Circuit, which is incorporated into the Class AB discrete output stage and is said to use “a combination of feed-forward and feedback to extend bandwidth and reduce distortion while maintaining unconditional stability.” Tied to this is something NAD calls PowerDrive, another patented circuit that senses a loudspeaker’s impedance load in real time, and then automatically adjusts the power supply to deliver either high current or high voltage as needed, thus minimizing distortion. Though this circuit is optimized for 4-ohm loads, “by increasing voltage drive when the reduced current demands of higher-impedance loudspeaker loads allow” NAD amps deliver perceived power that sounds much stronger than their 8-ohm rating would suggest.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

I have a pair of Heresy IIIs driven by a pedestrian Sony 100wpc SS receiver. I'm experiencing the expected harsh mids and upper end. I want to replace the amp but at a reasonable cost.

Will the NAD 316BEE V2 provide improved sonics making it worth the purchase?

Ideally I'd love a SET amp, but out of the price range right now...

I'm using an "interim" amp which is a NAD C326BEE and admit to being quite impressed driving my HIII's. They are noted for being voiced slightly "darker" which mates well with Klipsch. A bright amp will make your ears bleed. I'm finding the NAD better that expected, butt ugly but very pleasant sounding.

• Haha 1