DQ Project Sneak Preview

Deang

Heck, I didn't know what else to name the topic, since I'm not quite done yet. Certainly getting closer though. I had new baffles cut, and I still need to sand, prime, and paint them. Build the other crossover, and that's it.

Then keep my fingers crossed and hope it works!

Can't attach multiple files, so I guess I'll have to submit each pic with an individual post.

post-3205-13819245524642_thumb.jpg

Nice work on the crossover. Holy MIT caps explosion! I have the MIT RTX caps in my Cary SLP-70. Very transparent and extremely detailed. Not exactly an oil cap, however. heh....

I still think you need to go one step higher in SS amplification. The 4004 Mk II is good but something like that vintage Class A Threshold or perhaps even the Bryston 4B-ST, which is now an older model and coming down in price, would even be better. The 4B-ST is VERY powerful but still has some of that finesse. And the last pair of DQ-10 I heard was run with a tube pre into a Class A Threshold with VERY nice results.

You are getting good with the soldering iron, however!

kh

Kelly, I don't know how to say this without you thinking I'm a complete moron, but on the RF7's with stock AE-3 -- the 4004 MKII sounds much better then when I had the 3B-ST running with the Anthem Pre1L.

I thought the 3B-ST sounded really good until I got the AE-25, and well -- that was the end of the Bryston.

I suppose the AE-3 could account for the difference, and it would be a mistake to not factor that in -- but the Aragon sounds very good on the RF7's. It's a big, bold wonderful sound. Definitely closer to 3D in the imaging than the Bryston -- which was actually quite 2 dimensional. The Aragon does not push the image all the way to my listening position like the AE-25 -- but it's out there somewhat. The "slam" factor of the Aragon completely embarasses the Bryston. It's substantial.

The Aragon does not articulate near as well as the Superamp, and the Superamp trumps it in smoothness as well. However, whatever solid state grain there is -- is barely discernable. I'm hoping that while driving the DQ's, I don't notice it at all -- as the DQ's certainly won't have the resolving power of the RF7's.

I don't remember exactly, but didn't you have some experience with the Aragon? If so, I'm surprised you would find the Bryston superior.

I'm sure the AE-3 has something to do with why I feel this way. I wonder sometimes if tube preamps somehow filter out the odd order harmonics of SS amplificatin to some degree.

At any rate, I like the MK II. The first 50 watts of this beast are Class A -- and that's plenty for now:)

Glad your stuff is working out.

I did have first hand experience with the original Aragon 4004 but not the Mk II version. I will say that the 4B-ST is a quite a bit more powerful with a much more hefty power supply than the 3B-ST. It is rated over 250w per channel (vs the 120wpc of the 3B-ST) and sounds EXTREMELY powerful, detailed, three dimensional, and dynamic. I think it is a far better made amp than the Aragon 4004 series. I agree with you, the Aragon 4004 is a great amp, and garnered excellent reviews across the board. I just dont think it's in the 4B-ST league. And the Threshold pure Class A amp DID run those DQ-10 like a dream; it really surprised me.

Still, you are probably right in that it will sound very nice, especially with the tube preamp. IF you still have that SS pre there, have you compared it? Just hope the new DQ-10 mods work well.

Do any of you know of a flea powered class A SS amp? I am looking for something to drive the upper end of my horns. I am looking for less than 1-2 watts. My high power 300B is more than enough to drive both the base and the HF, so I figure I only need a 1 watterer. If I were a EE, I would think that I could build one from scratch. The smallest I can find out here is either a Bendini at 25/25 or a Pass at 30/30.

Jim N

First of all, the very low wattage tube SET will be MUCH better at driving the top end of your horns...way, way more than even the best SS. Almost POSITIVE HERE. Put a 45 SET amp on that top end and I am sure you will by seriously impressed; even a very nice 2A3 with good pedigree.

Even the very best SS Class A amps dont have the harmonic richness, and ulitmate open clarity of a SET.

But to answer your question, one of the cleanest low watt SS amps is the Sakura 47 Labs Gaincard (it still reaches 20w). But it is VERY expensive. Some have dabled with the Gaincard DIY clones to great results. But something like a good 45 or 2A3 will prove the most sublime match for the top end. I just dont think SS is the best answer for the top end of a horn system.