Tube Amp Project

robforst1

Two very different approaches to Single-Ended amplification. Also, notice the large price difference as well. You are talking about an entry-level SET kit with the 2A2 Bottlehead Paramours that offers great bang for the buck, is very easy to build with good instructions along with a top notch forum for aid. It is hard to beat for the price. The Bottlehead kits feature Parafeed transformers, solid state rectification with some additions that solve some problems. Is it the best there is? No. But for the price it's very, very good. The mods make it better. I dont like Solid state rectification too much but they have some solutions.

set_lineup1.jpg

Their Parabee 300B Parafeed SET is actually pretty damn good according to a good friend who just heard a pair with all the mods. It is substantially more expensive than the Paramour however. Ditto with the 2A3 Paraglow. The lower Bottlehead kits, on the whole, do not have the parts quality nor chassis quality of the WL kits.

The Welborne Labs kits offer better transformers, parts, chassis etc and a more old world design approach - traditional but proven (tube rectification, cap coupled, 6SN7 drivers). Their long lived and hightly reviewed 2A3 and 300B kits are getting ready to be discontinued with only a FEW remaining at good prices. Buy them now and save. See the post about the NEW Welborne Labs kits taking the place. These new kits look to be very easy to build and excellent as well. Pricing is unknown at the moment but figure less for basic to much more for fully loaded versions.

So you have settled on single-ended kits?

Well, why dont you ever mention this tube amp? I have wondered why:

1. It's not listed in your components signature

2. You have never mentioned the sound in any way

I just assumed you had not heard them. Building from scratch is way more difficult for the average newbie as you really need to depend on your schematic reading skills. I differ here in that I believe a good kit is preferable for the excellent instructions, detailed pics, and factory support as well as others who have built the same kit offering advice. It makes sound sense to make a quality kit as your first amp project.

kh

I second Mobile's info above. I will add that the cost of a kit is not more than the cost of the parts, if you purchased them seperately (I mentioned this in another post yesterday and rechecked my notes and confirmed it). Kit producers purchase parts in volume which substantially reduces their material costs. You're getting good design, in a convenient form, for no more than the individual parts would cost you.

leok