Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Amp

DillonW

I am considering upgrading my system with the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature amp. Does anyone out there have an opinion or experience this amp? It will be used to drive La Scalas and Belles. I realize its power potential exceeds my needs, but reviews would indicate that it is warmer in nature and maintains strong mid-bass from low to high volume levels. I would actually prefer more than the 5 channels it offers, but I guess I can add later. My primary consern is what is driving my heritages. Got a better option? Tell me, I'm looking for inputs but cost cannot be much over $3000.

THANKS!

dillon, may want to check out b&k - ref 7250, 7260, 7270. in your price range (discounted) & b&k has a great sound synergy w/ klipsch as far as ss goes.

also, i use netscape 4.79 & can't see your avatar. clu pointed out that if you have a space in your filename it won't read on netscape, so if you remove the space. just to let you know in case you want all to see your avatar.

The Sunfire is suppose to be an excellent amp. I don't think you would be unhappy with this amp. However, I would also look into the Sherbourn 5/1500A-it has 5 true monoblocks. I own two and am very happy. I actually compared them side by side with a good, classic tube amp and we couldn't tell the difference and with one tube amp we both actually like the Sherbourn. I noticed that with monoblocks 5 channel listening is more robust. Other amps to look at is the B&K 7250 and the DNA amps.

Hope this helps. By the way the Sherbourn is about 1800.00 new and I believe there 7 channel amp is out now too. Mine weighs in at 85lbs and is very heavy.

DillonW,

I recomend you try the amps out,this is the only way to be sure what suits your needs best.The Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature has more power then any amps listed or recomended so far,and by far.

Power however is not quality,in the case of the Cinema Grand Signature you get more power then the competition and more quality then most.Weight as you know in the case of the SUnfire is not any viable indicator of quality as the power supply and the amp itself does not work the same way a classic class A/B amp does.

If you can spend up to $3000 on a power amp then may I recomend another choice,the awesome ATI 2505!

The 2505 is a 250W RMS per channel 5 channel amp,gives 400W RMS all channels driven at 4 Ohms and if you like built quality.Try to lift the amp at 107lbs,its a heavyweight.Not as refined as the Sunfire but still AT LEAST THE EQUAL of Outlaw in finesse.Think of this amp as a BIGGER Outlaw with more guts.This amp has slam and will drive just about ANY speakers to massive output levels.

At around 3 grand yet another winner would be CinePro.CinePro amp is more refined then the ATI and Sunfire(well any amp listed so far by the users)and has massive power to boot.Its not a looker,its plain faceplate hides a very effective design with a massive power supply.The 2K6 by CinePro should be on your short list.I warn you it looks like a high power club amp,well it makes the so called great deals and hi-fi amps sound missing in comparison.Check the CinePro out.

wow, now that i look at that sunfire it has specs like a krell. doubles the wattage into 4ohms & 2 ohms. definitely looks like power. anybody know the damping factor? probably at least 500.

i got my b&k 7270 new for about $2200 discounted. if this could be had for around $3k looks great on paper anyway. has balanced inputs & 2 sets of posts for each channel too.

also their prepro looks real good. i hadn't really looked at sunfire before because it was above my budget for amp & prepro.

I agree with Boa regarding the B&K stuff. I've never read or heard a negative thing about any of it.

I've recently become a big fan of Aragon. I bought a used 4004 MKII sometime ago to put in my second system. For grins, I stuck it in my Klipsch system. It is the closest I have ever come to being blown out of my chair with getting a headache. I am extremely impressed with the amp.

I don't think it was an accident Klipsch went after Mondial, and I would venture to say that as far as solid state goes, Aragon probably matches up to Klipsch real well.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature looks pretty impressive on paper and have found it available for under $3000. I wish I could demo some of the higher end stuff, but nobody in town carries real good stuff. I would have to travel a few hundred miles to find a store that stocks any of the items suggested. I must say, appearance wise, I sure like the look of the Acurus 5007. Talk about classy, but I can't find any reviews or price lists for it. Only problem is that I really like the front effects options of my Yamaha RX-V3000, so I could really use 8 channels. If it werent for budgets, I would buy two 5 channel amps, two of the Acurus 3005s would be nice. But they would have to be powerful enough to drive a pair of SVS Ultras, that way I would use all 10 channels. Oh the dilemmas and tough choices we HT enthusiasts are forced to make. Please continue with the comments and suggestions. Being unable to demo any of this equipment your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again!