Chorus II question

Audio Flynn

Went by my favorite HIFI store today.

They have a pair of 7 year old Chorus II on consignment for $ 800.

They are black in near mint condition.

I have been thinking of LaScalas(maybe too wide for the space allowed), Hereseys, Chorus or KLF 20 for my 2 channel music only living room system concept.

Already have the HT Family room rig finnished.

What is market price for these?

Any liabilities with the Chorus?

Any and all comments welcome.

Rick

I find the Forte-IIs, a smaller sibling of the Chorus, to be a very satisfying, but also demanding, speaker. I find the passive radiator style bass to be faster than ported designs (my RF-7s are ported).

My listening area is small (15' wide). I have considered the La Scala, but suspect it may be too large. The Chorus and Forte designs seem to be the classic Klipsch 3-way approach, reduced in size to where horn bass is no longer possible, but the passive radiator is used to reclaim some of the speed lost with ported designs.

I do find the Forte-IIs to be indespensable. I constantly tinker with the designs and components in my two amps and had been using the RF-7s. I switched back to the Fortes after my last set of changes, which seemed to remove high frequency distortion that the Fortes were faithfully telling me about. With the Fortes, sound is very foreward but also very real. I have two new Classic Records pressings of Brubeck's "Time Out" and "Crosby Stills and Nash." Both recordings sound live. CDs struggle more than records, but I'm beginning to suspect the medium, or my Sonic Frontiers "Transdac."

If the Chorus is an improvement over the Forte, or just more of it, I'd say it's a lot of speaker in a small package: the only way I know to get horn mid & high and fast bass in something so small.

leok

I've had a set of Chorus IIs for 10 years. They are excellent, better than just about anything less than the La Scala or Belle (maybe the cornwall, but I have not heard them). I recently replaced mine with a set of Belles, but I still hold them in VERY high reguard. What make the $800 a bargan is the fact that you can pick them up personally, saving any shipping charge. I would recommend them.

Rick

The Chorus and Chorus 2 are very excelent speakers. I have owned them in the past and can give you a pretty good summary based on other Klipsch speakers I currently and have owned in the past.

As pointed out, they are the big brother to the Forte. They have a lot more "solid" sound than the Forte mainly becouse of the size of the drivers and horns. It has a very flat response curve, and has much more of the trademark Klipsch "live" sound than the Heresy and Forte.

Personally, I think they sound better then Cornwalls. I see the flames comming!!! This is MHO, so dont beat me up too bad. I think the Chorus sounds more dynamic and responsive in comparison to the Corns.

I think the price sounds fair for them. Give them a good listen, I think you will be happy with them.

JM

I put a 3 day hold on the pair. They are gloss black which my wife said would work better for her since we have some wood panneling and heavy wood trim in the living room already.

There are a couple of 2 mm x 4-7 mm little strips where the black has faded on the edges of the cabinet. The grill cloth and the rest of the cabinet are in very good to excellent condition.

Do you just set these on the carpet?

Or do you spike them through the carpet into the wood floor below?

Anybody ever upgrade the internal wiring?

Should I haggle a bit or is $ 800 reasonable?

I will have to use my 20 year old Denon 50 watt integrated amp for a while until I can get the finances to jump into a tube setup.

I have 2 sets of Chorus id love to sell for $700.00 a pair, but the wife put a freeze on them, maybe id buy a pre amp, or cd player she says, theres no way im letting you sell these!

Hey the Chorus kick *** period!

But then again, i am listening to my KLIPSHORNS!

Oh well, they still rock, nice, i mean very nice!

Regards Jim9.gif

----------------

On 10/19/2002 10:55:51 PM Jim Cornell wrote:

As far as sounding better than the cornwalls, i would say NO WAY, smoke more!

Cornwalls have more bass, although not as solid, im coming off rude again, sorry guys, just having fun. and also have owned both!
9.gif

----------------

Wow - I thought the flames would be more than this... I got off easy this time.

Again, my opionion was based on - well my opionion and sound preference... I have also owned both, at the same time... The cornw is also a great speaker, but I think the Chorus has a more ballanced or smooth sound over the entire listening spectrum. I don't have the data on hand, but I would bet the Chorus has a flatter overall responce curve than the cornw.

Jim, you mentioned your wife likes your Chorus? Funny you mention that. One thing I have noticed over the years is that (most) women prefer the sound Heresy, Forte, and Chorus over the larger Heritage line. Not sure why that is? And I am not talking about them complaining about the size of the speakers, thats a whole other topic.

JM

Na, i think we all got burned out on the cornwall, chorus comparison, or chorus heritage, after i got done arguing for 3 months LOL!

My wife likes the chorus more than the klipschorns, yea tell me about it!

She also has 1 bad ear, so shes not hearing them fully, i wonder how they sound to her!

But yea, go for the chorus, cornwall, or even forte, all very nice!

But if you have the money, get vthe Klipschorns, people sell them sometimes not knowing what they are!

Like mine, the seller thought they were taken apart!

Regards Jim9.gif

OK

In all reality, its the woofers, the K-48 is twice as stiff as the K-33, also the K-48 had a huge magnet, the biggest ive seen!

Also, the K-48 has a stiffer cone, than the flimsy K-33!

Make sence, to me, it takes a bit more power to drive the K-48, than the K-33!

So a side by side comparison, the cornwall would take off with the bass first!

And the chorus a very few seconds after!

I we put the K-33 in the chorus, i really wonder how it would sound, would it match the cornwalls!

Never did that, wish i treid it!

But no, the chorus had a tighter bass respone, me i like the overkill, love the bass, so the chorus to me were half the cornwalls!

Which is also why i got the Klipshorns to replace the chorus!

But they are still here!

We listen to them on the other unit, when i give my tube system a break!

I think ill hang the 511bs from the ceiling above the Klipshorns, on a downward angle!

Sorry, LOL there on the way, just a second thought thing!

I really dont want to cut, modify, these babys!

Regards Jim