The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Thundercat710

RSB-11/general subwoofer questions

Greetings to all,

I'm not experienced enough with home theater setups to know what my expectations should be, so I would like some other people's input. I recently hooked this system up in our modestly-sized living room and fired away with movie explosions and awesome music, and the subwoofer sounded...WEAK. I oriented it a couple different positions without much difference noted. I mean, I could tell that it was on, and when I turned up the subwoofer volume on the remote it did get a bit more pronounced, but still. It wasn't at all what I was hoping it would sound like. The soundbar itself sounded good to me, just the subwoofer seemed questionable. 

So, a few questions:

1. People at my work said it sounded like the subwoofer was malfunctioning - "it should be providing way more oomph". Could that be the case? Seems to me like it would have obvious signs of malfunctioning if that were the case, but I'm not sure.

2. How much beefier does the R-10SWi sound compared to the 8" sub that comes bundled in the RSB-x series?

3. Can't I just get a Klipsch soundbar without a subwoofer bundled in and get a R-10SWi to pair along with it? 

Thanks for all your help,

Mike D.

Edited by Thundercat710

Asking an 8 inch woofer to perform the full duties of a subwoofer is a tall order.  They typically don't have the capability to achieve what you're looking for.

Depending on the sound bar you may be able to add an upgraded subwoofer.  However, long story short, my best friend bought a Klipsch RSB-3 (I think?) on black Friday.  I believe it is the only soundbar Klipsch makes without a subwoofer.  He ended up returning it because he said it really didn't sound much better than the speakers in the new tv he bought the same day.  I don't know if it even had  the option to add a subwoofer.

Yeah, I wish they offered an upgrade path for the subwoofers. I didn't think it was malfunctioning, I just thought it wasn't enough sub for what I'm looking for. Thanks for the response, good sir.

If you have room, you can get a pair of powered bookshelf speakers such as the R-15PM that have a subwoofer pre-out to let you use the subwoofer of your choice.

I'm wondering if I can use the rsb11 soundbar and just pair the 10" sub (R-10SWi) to it instead of the 8" sub that comes in the bundle? Pairing is pairing in this case, right? 

It's really a woofer, not a subwoofer, and I get a surprising amount of output from mine in an average sized living room (placed in a corner). It sounds like something's wrong with your unit.

32 minutes ago, Blvdre said:

It's really a woofer, not a subwoofer, and I get a surprising amount of output from mine in an average sized living room (placed in a corner). It sounds like something's wrong with your unit.

Yeah I'm hoping the woofer that came with the first kit was malfunctioning. I picked up a replacement bundle today at lunch and am eager to check it out tonight

Got the 10" R-SWi today, and it won't connect out of the box with my soundbar. I was hoping that they would connect automatically and I'd have an updated woofer sound. Negative. I paired the 8" woofer back to the soundbar and am feeling kinda bummed. 

Hi. The same happens to me with the subwoofer of the RSB-11. The power is very low. I have it located under the bar. I will try to place it further. I'm disappointed.

I have the RSB=11 and have the same problem, I have a cheaper Polk that will walk all over my Klipsch