Harman Kardon ST 7 Turntable

speed3

These got all sorts of press... and some people modifed them. But I would actually steer clear of this if only because it can be very unreliable and finicky. The arm has rubber components that can be tricky and the whole beast is finicky. Thy manual is your friend. You might just be buying a headache, besides, there are a host of better tables out there.

The linear tracking arms seem to be better with air bearings ala Eminent Technology ET-II or the Ladegaard Air Bearing arm.

I have one and my father has one both bought new many years ago, mine is in a closet because I could not keep it working, my father's is still runnning strong, started with stanton 881 catridges, my father now has a Blue Point Special on it...the main piece that needs replacing is a rubber idler wheel, no longer available, BUT Kal has posted on audioasylum a rubber washer available at home depot that fits well. Once set up properly the arm needs re-adjustment every couple of months, a simple turn of a screw to keep the arm tracking well. all-in-all it is a beautiful and musical piece. it will require more care than say something new, like a music hall MMF-1 for example. for enthusiasts only I would say. Tony

RABCO...I remember it well....one of the biggest POS ever made...then along came H/K and bought them up...what a bunch of stupidity!! H/K tried for years to get that piece of crap to work right...changed his...changed that...and occassionally, one in maybe 500 would work fine...but that was just PURE LUCK!! Then, H/K finally gave up on it...BUT...funny thing is...Mitsubishi came out with a pretty nice little linear tracking TT...then Technics did, too...neither one of them were considered audiophile quality...but at least they friggen WORKED!!! The Mitsubishi one was VERTICAL....looked like half a reel-to-reel machine sitting up in the air like that!!! I heard both the Mitsubishi and the Technics ones...through Klipsch Cornwalls..and the Mitsubishi sounded better. As for the H/K RABCO...I never saw one that didn't end up in the shop all the time...but there are bound to be a few that actually worked!! I would steer clear of it...you can get an old Technics SL-1300 for MUCH less money and it is a proven quantity!!