Speaker wire

djk,

Thx for the info. But to tell you a little story when i purchased my amp and speakers back in 1991 i did a very close side by side comparison of the 555mkII and the 565 mono blocks for about 5 hours that day. I was listening to both amps through the chorus II's and the forte II's back and forth. By the end of that day i told the dealer to right up the bill for the chorus II's and the adcom GFA 555mkII and the adcom GFP 555mkII. I should add the GFP 565 preamp and the 555 mk II preamp sound exactly the same in the line stage only if you are into vinyl should the extra 300 be spent on the 565 preamp. So maybe its just me but for not even 50 dollars difference in the sound between the different setups i heard that day i could not justify spending the extra 1200 for the 565 mono's and the 565 preamp. Also i know the forte's are quoted for dropping down to 32 hz and the choruses only 39 hz but let me tell you with the same amplification and same room comparison the chorus had it over the forte in a big way but again i think its just a matter of opinion because if there had not been a chorus there to listen to i would have definitley walked out with the forte's. But after all this said i have never heard the 585 and so maybe it has it over the other 2 amps from adcom not sure. But all i know as far as most of the newer stuff i am still glad i own the 555mk II. But as i said, thanks for the info because if there is a way to improve upon the nice 555mkII that i own that sounds like a great idea to me.

AFAIK the GFA585 is the only Adcom amp that comes with power supply bypass caps from the factory.It was designed by a different designer than all the other stuff and Adcom decided that the Pass name was more important for marketing purposes.Hence the limited edition.In the stereo equipment business I found 99% of all customers prefered the thick juke box/car radio sound to something that acually sounded like music.The original Forte smoked the Chorus.The Chorus was deliberately tuned to have a big bump in the 60hz region to give it more of a sense of 'slam'.The mkII version of the Chorus was much better but the Forte II was worse.Play with the caps, I think you will be pleasantly surprised

I think 12 gauge speaker wire is just fine.

Monster cable for audio conections between equipment does seem to make a diff.

------------------

Sony 333ES Receiver

Sony 36" Wega

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd

Klipsch RP-5s Front

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch KSB1.1 Rears

Boston 10" sub

DJK is right about the Adcom GFA-585 L.E. Thanks for the info about the seperate Designer, I never knew that. I was powering my Khorns with it and a pair of Hersey II's with the GFA-535,then went with the 545II.

I was bridging both amps through a Pioneer VSX-9900S Receiver. The Khorns were fed with that Original Monster Cable MC20/20 I mentioned before.

The pic I attached is old(93)The Kenwood crap went to the ex in the split with the Hersey's and I went 2 channel with the GTP500II and GCD575(GCD700 replaced). I always loved Adcoms gear. Just decided to go HT with the Marantz and after the problems with the Adcom GTP 700 series I decided to pass.

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 05-17-2001 at 04:15 PM

DJK,

Had another question for you. While i am in the amp adding caps what are your thoughts on changing the power cord to a hospital grade cord? Also your thoughts on soldering all the clip on connections? And one other thing how about cones instead of those cheap rubber feet? Hmmm with all that it might not be called an adcom 555 mkII anymore Smile.gif Thanks for the help!